Chapter Two

"...and then she knocked him right out. With one punch! It was SO awesome!" I replay my weekend to my friend Kara on our walk to school the following Monday.
"You know, most people wouldn't be so excited to talk about a near death experience" she says with a laugh.
"Almost dying just means I get to see heroes on the job" I reply, then add "Sorry, I'm being rude. How was your weekend?"
"Oh, just ordinary" she shrugs with a smile.
Her smile instantly vanishes, however, when we come across a telephone pole with missing person's posters on it, and without even getting a good look at the posters, I know who they're for.
Over the past month, three students from our school, Metropolis High, have disappeared without a trace. Superman, along with every single cop in Metropolis, has searched the entire city for them, but it's like they fell off the face of the earth.
I step closer to the posters and examine them. Mason Wilson, Kevin Edwards, and Abigail Byrnes. All three were smiling in their picture, not a care in the world. I didn't know any of them that well, but I'm sure they're very nice, definitely not deserving to be taken away from their homes, their lives.
"Can you imagine what their families must be going through?" Kara asks, sadness seeping through her voice "I don't know what my parents would do if I went missing. Or what I'd do if the same thing happened to my parents or Clark."
"Yeah..." I say, "but, they've gotta be out there somewhere. And if anyone can find them, it's the Supers, Man or Girl."
"You really have as much faith in her as you do Superman?" Kara asks "I mean, I know they have the same powers, but he has a lot more experience than her."
"Maybe, but she has just as much heart as him, and that's what helps people" I answer
"Yeah, I agree with that" she says, then gently tugs my arm as she adds "Now come on, camera boy. We're gonna be late for school."
I groan "Ugh, can't we just skip it?"
"Oh come on, it's not that bad" she says
"Easy for you to say, you're good at it" I reply, then walk with her to the dreaded facility.