Chapter Three

The day drags on until, finally, it's almost time for science, my last class of the day.
"If you could have ANY superpower, what would it be?" Kara asks me, as I grab a few things from my locker.
"Hmm... I guess invisibility." I say, after thinking it over.
"Why? To sneak into the girls' locker room?" She asks with a teasing grin.
"N-no!" I stammer, blushing slightly "It's just that then I could take pictures for the Planet at crime hot spots without a repeat of Saturday."
"But your camera wouldn't be invisible. It would look like it was floating in the air. Pretty sure bad guys would notice that." Kara replies.
"Oh yeah, I didn't think about that... I could still sneak out of school, though, so invisibility for the win." I decide, "What about you? What power would you pick?"
"Omnipotence" Kara answers immediately.
"What? You only get ONE superpower." I say.
"Omnipotence IS one superpower: the power of being all-powerful." she replies.
"Ah, clever. Now I see why you get all A's." I say.
"Nah, it's because she's a nerd like you, Olsen" a familiar obnoxious voice says behind me. I turn around, and sure enough, the annoyingly handsome face of Devin Powell, the captain of the basketball team, is staring down at me with a smirk, his group of friends behind him with similar smirks on their equally annoyingly good-looking faces.
"Ooh, you're calling us smart, how insulting." Kara replies, rolling her eyes.
One of Devin's stooges, Steve Ferguson, walks up to Kara and stands a little too close to her.
"You know, Kara, I don't get why you hang around this dork, when there's an open spot in our crew for you." he says, twirling her hair between his fingers "We normally don't let nerds in, but with looks like yours, we'll make an exception."
"One, only I get to call him a dork. Two, don't touch my hair, creep." Kara snaps, then swats his hand away.
"Feisty, huh? I like that, I enjoy a challenge." Steve says, as he reaches for her hair again.
"Hey, she said don't touch her!" I tell him, as I grab his arm and try to pull him away from Kara, but I might as well have tried to move a tree.
"You're so weak, Olson" Devin says while laughing "No wonder Superman constantly has to save your life."
He then looks around the hall, probably to make sure there are no teachers watching, then punches me right in the stomach. Pain shoots through my body as I fall to the floor.
"You jerk! Why did you do that?!" Kara yells, as she pushes Steve out of her way and helps me to my feet.
"Relax, babe. It was nothing personal." Devin shrugs "We just gotta rough the nerds up a little every once in a while so they don't forget who the top dogs are."
He and his group then walks away, laughing.
"Are you ok?" Kara asks with concern on her face.
"Don't worry, I'm totally fine." I lie. My stomach feels like it got hit by a train.
"We shouldn't let those guys push us around" Kara says "We should report them to the principal."
"Then they'll just be on our case even more." I sigh, then look at the clock "Come on, we're gonna be late for science."
We walk across the hall to science class. The teacher, Mr. Ivo, is stuffing papers into his desk as we walk in.
"Ah, Mr. Olsen and Ms. Danvers, cutting it a little close today, aren't we?" Mr. Ivo says, as he notices us walking through the door.
"But not close enough for detention." Kara replies as we take our seats.
Mr. Ivo hands back the tests we took last week. I got an eighty out of a hundred. Could be better, could be worse.
Mr. Ivo spends the rest of the class talking about cellular biology, I think. I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention.
After he finally dismisses us, I catch up with Kara, who is staring at her test with a look of dissatisfaction.
"I only got a ninety three." she says to me "Maybe it's because I only studied for ten minutes instead of twenty."
Sometimes this girl really gets on my nerves.
"Think you'll have to take summer school?" I joke.
"Oh hush" Kara says as she gently shoves me in response. I say gently, but she nearly knocks me to the floor. Either she's surprisingly strong or I'm just really weak.
"So, any plans now that you're free until tomorrow?" Kara asks.
"Well, I have to meet Lois at S.T.A.R. Labs. She has an interview with Professor Hamilton about this new discovery he made." I reply.
"Really? What is it?" Kara asks, eyes wide with intrigue.
"I don't know yet" I shrug. "Apparently, he hasn't told anyone else about it. Lois had to make a LOT of calls to get this interview."
"Well, tell me ALL about it afterwards." Kara says.
"Will do." I reply.
I turn to leave, but Kara grabs my arm before I can go.
"Wait, don't go yet" she says. "After the interview, if it's not too late, maybe we could take a walk through Centennial Park?"
"...huh?" I question.
"Yeah, we could take a walk, and you can tell me about the professor's discovery  and show me the pictures you took. Does that sound nice?" Kara asks.
"Um, sure, that sounds good." I answer, confused.
"Great! See you then!" She says with a smile, then turns around and walks away.
That was weird, I think to myself. Kara has never asked to hang out outside of school before, but I guess it'll give me something to do after the interview.
I check my watch. 3:10. I grab my camera from my locker and head out of the school and to the nearest bus station. The interview doesn't start until four, but I don't want take any chances. If I'm even a minute late, Lois will have my head!