2 - Confusion

Silence, nothing but silence, filled the room as Ibuki and I stared at each other in, well, silence.

Neither of us seemed to want to speak, and neither of us desired to initiate a conversation as it would be considered awkward for both of us. Additionally, I doubted Ibuki even wanted to speak to me, taking into account her reaction to staying in my room for two weeks. However, it was rather unlikely that we would be able to get anywhere if we didn't speak to one another at least once; if we stayed silent for the entirety of two weeks while (unofficially) living together, it was bound that we would argue about unnecessary and minuscule things that have no need to be argued over, and I'm sure Ibuki realized this, too.

Thus, one of us was forced, or at least compelled, to start up any sort of conversation, even if only a word. However, the biggest problem was that we, or Ibuki, didn't wish to say a word. Now, I was fine with talking with Ibuki, but that wasn't going to help me engage Ibuki in a full-fledged conversation, and that was what was holding me back. I could say words all I wanted, but if I wasn't successful in actually getting her engaged by those words, then everything I did was useless. 

Nevertheless, this was my own doubt holding me back, and I'm not too sure if they were correct or not. Hirata once told me, on the third day on the cruise ship after we had finished the Island Exam, that if I were to talk to more people, I would naturally make more friends. At the time, I was skeptical at best by those words, mainly due to the fact I had made one-to-three friends who considered me a higher friend than the ones they already had, with the exception of Sakura and Horikita, who had no friends at that point in time, and I was still unsure if Hirata was right about that.

I still had very little friends who considered me higher than the ones they had, those being Horikita, Sakura, Hiyori, and Kei, but it was an improvement, and considering they had all spawned either from manipulation or actually talking with them, Hirata's point had some truth in it. 

So maybe, maybe I could try following his advice. Bracing myself, I slightly took in a deep breath while fiddling with my hands slightly, closing my eyes and steeling my mind for the words that would start a conversation.

Come on, Ayanokouji-kun! You can do this!" I heard Hiyori's voice cheering for me in my mind, which immediately caused me to gain an exuberant amount of confidence, and I spoke my first words.

"So, I think we should-" I spoke out, finally breaking the indomitable silence that had loomed over us.

"I don't want to hear you right now, so shut up."

Complete shutdown. 

And that failed horribly. I'm sorry, Hiyori, but I've failed you.