one.

disclaimer: while much of this book is loosely based on true experiences, this book itself is a piece of fiction, which I own the rights to. if any medical information is incorrect, please message me or leave a comment.

There were twelve girls and three boys in all, aged fourteen to eighteen, girls dressed in black leotards and tights and boys dressed in white shirts and black pants. Some girls had shorts or a ballet skirt layered over their leotards, or legwarmers bunched over their pointe shoe ribbons. These fifteen were the members of the Senior Ballet Ensemble of the Sunbrook Dance Academy. They were regarded as the best of the studio, excelling in classical technique. The Ensemble was invitation only, and it was every young dancers' dream to one day receive their class recommendations for the next year with the invite paper-clipped to the back. 

It was a Monday afternoon, early in September, and the Ensemble was warming up at the barre. This was AJ's second year dancing on the Ensemble, she had just turned fifteen. She was one of the few who'd been invited at the minimum age of fourteen. 

AJ was looking forward to the upcoming school year/dance season. It would be her sophomore year of high school. Her life seemed to be going perfectly. An awesome best friend, Xia (who's only real flaw was her fascination with calling AJ by her full name, Alexandra Jue), a very lovable little brother, and her mom had just married an awesome guy. 

"Excellent, AJ," the teacher called from the front of the room as the class leaped across the floor. Inwardly, AJ smiled.

Of course nothing could remain this perfect for long.