Read Your Work Aloud

So you've written your next Wattpad chapter.

Now you need to self-edit before you hit that publish button.

Normally in writing, whether fiction or otherwise, a writer would produce their first draft, proof read it themselves to create a second draft, and then send it to a third-party for a second opinion. This means that by the third or fourth draft, you've got a seriously slick peace of writing that has been sense-checked by another human. Possibly more than once.

Of course, in the world of indie writing, and Wattpad especially, that last part probably isn't going to happen. Either you won't be able to afford an editor, or you won't be able to get someone to read your work quickly enough to keep up with your publishing schedule.

So you need to use this technique to improve your proof reading

The next time you go to proof read your own work, read it all aloud. You can whisper if that's easier or if you lack self-confidence. You certainly don't have to read it 'well'. You're not creating an audiobook - just looking for mistakes.

Reading your book back to yourself aloud will focus your brain on the individual words, and how they flow together. When we read things normally, our brain can slip and slide over mistakes without us realising they're there. We miss errors and typos, and we certainly miss clunky flow or rhythm.

By reading it aloud (I really can't underline it enough), you should catch significantly more errors of both grammar and flow. Good luck!

* * *

Here's something I read aloud: If you appreciated this advice, please vote on the chapter and tag someone else who you think might enjoy it.

Got questions? Hit that comment button and I'll reply :)