Interview

"His son, Icarus, stood next to him, and, not realising that he was handling things that would endanger him caught laughingly at the down that blew in the passing breeze,"

Ovid, VIII.183-235

The light filling up the room gently pulled Tommy from another fitful night of sleep on the couch. Tommy let out a lazy grumble as he sat up and tried to rub the sleep from his eyes. Stretching his arms and wings up above his head, Tommy searched the cushions for his phone to check the time. 8am. "Ugh... time to adult." Tommy sighed and got off the couch, halfheartedly making his way to the bedroom.

Kicking open the door, Tommy walked over to the bed where his two roommates were still dead asleep. "Ranboob, wake up." Tommy hollered and dragged the taller boy off the bed by the ankle, landing on the floor with a thud.

Ranboo groaned and rolled over, blinking awake. He grumbled something along the lines of "Not my name." and sat up. "You're waking Tubbo up, Ranboob. I gotta go." Tommy threw over his shoulder as he went over to the closet to find his nice shirt. "I've got that interview at the Captain's Call Cafe."

"Last time I woke him up I got kicked in the gut." Ranboo complained, getting up off the floor. "That was ages ago!" Tommy huffed as he pulled his wings through the holes in the shirt, their unnaturally short span making it quick but it still snagged his feathers the wrong way. "IT WAS YESTERDAY!" Ranboo said exasperatedly.

A pillow was rocketed at Ranboo's head, knocking him clean off his feet. "That's for waking me up." A groggy voice grumbled from under the blankets. Tubbo was awake and Tommy got out unscathed, things were looking good for Big Man Innit.

Tommy hurriedly ran his fingers through his tangled mop of blond hair, trying to bury the white streak at the front, before throwing on a face mask and jogging out of the apartment with a call to his roommates.

The skies looked ok, maybe an evening shower but it should clear up by nightfall. Good, the last thing Tommy wanted was to patrol in the rain on the same day as an interview. His interview was scheduled for 9:30 and the commute from Snowchester district to the L'manburg area by train was about 40 minutes. He should have some time to spare, good.

Tommy was really hoping to get this job, it wasn't often that a prestigious place like a retired hero's cafe was hiring, let alone for a position he can actually fill, so he was going to do his best to not waste this opportunity. There weren't a lot of job options for Tommy. Hybrids may be widely accepted in Essempi but ones with disabilities were often treated like dirt.

It wasn't Tommy's fault his wings were cut off halfway. That was- Tommy shook his head to clear his thoughts. Now was not the time to think of that. Today would be a good day, he just had to make a good impression on the Captain.

The Captain. She was cool, Tommy idolized her when he was younger. Not to say no longer does or wasn't young, he turned 16 a few weeks ago but his papers all said he was 18. One of the few perks of being in a district the government has forgotten about was that no one noticed when Tubbo had fake documents made.

Tommy had always wanted to meet Captain Puffy, a lot had happened since then and now but that dream still stood and was about to be fulfilled. Even if he didn't get the job, he'd be able to mark something off the bucket list.

The train slowed to a stop.

"L'manburg Station. Watch your step." Crackled over the intercom, unintelligible as ever. Tommy took a breath and got off, pulling out his phone to get navigation to the cafe. He avoids the L'manburg area whenever possible but for the Captain he would brave the horrible upper class snobs.