Breakdowns And Bakeries

'he flailed with bare arms, but losing his oar-like wings, could not ride the air. Even as his mouth was crying his father's name, it vanished into the dark blue sea, the Icarian Sea, called after him.'

Ovid, VIII.183-235

The drive from L'manburg district to Snowchester district was over an hour. For the first fifteen or so minutes, Tommy was quiet. Too tired to pick a fight with the man next to him. After that, he took a nap. He slept for half an hour before waking up and deciding to make that Jubilee's problem.

"... I know what your name is." Tommy mumbled, not looking at Jubilee. "It's public information, so I don't see how that matters." Jubilee mumbled, not taking his eyes off the road. "Then say it." Tommy smirked sleepily, still not all there after his nap.

"I don't see why I should if you already know it." Jubilee rolled his eyes.

"I want you to say it though."

"No."

"Yes."

"Not happening, child."

"I'm not a child, and say it."

"You are literally a child-"

"Am not."

"Child."

"Bitch."

"Stop calling me a bitch, child."

"Until you say your name I will only refer to you as Bitch."

"That's not going to make me say it."

"Sure it won't, bitch."

"... I don't like you."

"Fuck you, bitch. I'm a delight."

"Ugh..." Jubilee sighed dramatically. He was seriously annoyed by this child, but something about him just screamed at Jubilee's mind to keep an eye out for him. Maybe it was that he's so young looking, there was no way he was any older than sixteen, maybe it's because he appears to have no self preservation skills, or it was the wings, whatever it was, it was screwing him over. Jubilee couldn't stand the kid but couldn't stand ignoring him either.

A few more minutes passed in relative quiet before Jubilee sighed. "Wilbur Soot." He mumbled, refusing to acknowledge the giddy expression that lit up Tommy's face. "Well would you look at that, is Mr. Number three hero getting soft for me?" Tommy grinned, mischief written on his face before he paused and thought for a few seconds.

"Only because I don't feel like being harassed by a child." Wilbur lied. "Sure you don't, Wimblur Foot." Tommy grinned. "Oi, you said you'd get my name right if I said it." Wilbur protested. "Did not. I said I'd stop referring to you as 'bitch'. Never said I'd call you by your name." Tommy sneered cheekily.

This damn kid.

Finally, they reached the Snowchester border. With the guidance of some surprisingly precise directions from Tommy, they navigated through the messy streets of Snowchester. Tommy pointed out things as they passed, mindlessly commenting on things and places that he felt deserved attention.

"That's the abandoned school, I don't think it was ever actually open. They just ran out of funding while building. There's my favorite park, just don't go there on Sundays because that's when the drug dealers show up. There's a building that got destroyed in an explosion during a fight between the vigilante Icarus and a villain last month, that made it on the news. And over there-" "Wait, back up. Icarus is considered a vigilante around here?" Wilbur cut Tommy off, slowing the car and looking at the building.