Sieger the Goblin

Female reader x Male monster

A couple of years ago, I started volunteering at the local library. Every Saturday I come in to read to the kids some of my favorite books, or even some the library suggests. I started doing it when my job became too humdrum. I worked the call center at a bank, and sometimes the work got to me. I started visiting the library every day before work to sniff books and find something I could enjoy once I got home.

I had found out that the usual children's reader had stopped coming. I had seen a little girl crying when I was checking out my book and it got to me. I remember the Saturdays when my own parents would take me the library to hear a reading and pick out some books. I asked to volunteer right away, it wasn't even a question in my mind. Ever since, I have loved it and look forward to it every day.

Some of the kids often bring me treats and gifts like homemade cookies, a piece of candy, I've gotten tons of drawings I've kept filed away. I really love all the kids, but there is one little girl who stands out to me. It's the same one I saw crying that day at the library two years ago. Her name is Gemma and she's an Orc. She's always dressed in super cute dresses and bright red rain boots. Her dark hair is styled into elaborate braids that really impresses me.

Gemma's dad, Sieger, always brings her. He's a big, hulking guy who at first had always stood at the edge beyond the other parents who would watch as I read to their kids. As time moved on he got closer and closer until he was at the front, even as the parents wandered during the readings.

Sieger owns a coffee shop and wine bar not far from the library, a place I have actually frequented often. He caught my eye right away, much like Gemma did. He was amazing with Gemma, apparently he had started bringing her to the readings when her mother left them. Sieger had been raising Gemma alone ever since and had learned how to style her hair in all the amazing braids she wore.

One afternoon once the reading was over and I was putting away some of the gifts I'd received, Gemma came dashing up to me and she tugged at the hem of my skirt. "Ms. Aubrey," she giggles excitedly.

I kneel down and smile at her. "Yes, Ms. Gemma?"

"Would you like to join us for dinner?" She asks with a great big grin on her face.

I look to Gemma then glance up at Sieger. "What kind of dinner?" I ask.

"Papa is a good cook," Gemma says excitedly. "He said he would even make his apple pie too and he only makes that for really special occasions!" Gemm speaks in long strains of consciousness, especially when excited.

"Is this Gemma grand idea?" I stand and smirk at Sieger.

"Basically," Sieger's low gruff voice reminds me of a cartoon character I had a crush on growing up. He rubs the top of Gemma's head. "She's been wanting to do something nice for you, and well, I can't blame her."

I feel weird being this excited. I do adore Gemma, but having a crush on her dad was something I never expected to happen. "Well, if apple pie is on the men-"

Gemma gasps, "with ice cream!"

"With ice cream," I giggle. "I'd be an idiot to say no."

Sieger and I trade phone numbers so he can text me his address later. I head home, my head swimming with silly ideas that may or may not have come from one of my guilty pleasure romance novels.

I receive a text as I'm setting my things down. "Gemma has her heart set on pasta, I hope that's ok with you."

"You've seen me, this body knows a thing or two about pasta." I reply. I then feel like an idiot.

"Good, it's Gemma's favorite."

"Tell her it's my favorite too."

I go to the bathroom and take a nice, long shower before I have to get ready. Once I get out, I stress over an outfit to wear. I want to look casual, like I threw it on, but I always wanted to look cute and sexy and maybe show off some cleavage. But I didn't want to look desperate. I mean, I liked Sieger and had enjoyed a fantasy or two starring him, but I didn't want to look like that had ever crossed my mind. Or maybe I did? Did I want to wear something that suggested attraction? Am I overthinking this?