Chapter 26: Monday

Yuri: Dad... Could you please give me some money?

In a Russian apartment where an almost normal family lived, a very peculiar scene was taking place. A father was sitting on a chair at the end of the dining room table reading a newspaper. His face was sunken and he looked tired. The man removed his reading glasses and looked up at his son, his eyes immediately filled with sadness.

Fourteen-year-old Yuri was already consumed by drugs.

No one knew exactly what had pushed him down this slope. But the result was there.

The young boy had not gone to school for months, rarely left his room and always at night. His smell was similar to a corpse, as was his appearance. He looked very unwell, and kept scratching his left arm.

The father looked at him saddened.

Although saddened would not be the best word.

In fact, no set of words could describe how broken the father was at seeing the state of his son who was killing himself little by little. And what could he do to get him out of it?

Viktor was just an ordinary man and parent, completely overwhelmed by the turn of events and had no idea how to act properly in the face of this.

He put his newspaper on the table and took a deep breath.

Viktor: And why do you want this money?

Yuri: I'm going out with some friends in town...

The boy took a few seconds to answer, which prompted another question from the patriarch.

Viktor: Who are these friends?

A question that was just meant to make him face his lie.

Yuri was a very unsocial person. His shyness, mixed with his great susceptibility, his disgusting appearance and his habit of believing himself to think too differently from others, had put a stop to every beginning of friendship. In addition, he no longer went to school and hardly went out except in secret.

The young boy gritted his teeth in anger.

Yuri: It's not important, I just want some fucking money.

The father suspected why Yuri wanted money.

Viktor: No.

Yuri: What...?

Viktor: You won't get any money Yuri, you don't need it, what you need is to be healed.

The young boy gritted his teeth even more.

Yuri: Fucking hell, all I'm asking you for is some fucking money, so stop bothering me and give it to me!

The father of the family got up in anger at his son's brazenness, knocking over his chair.

He was much taller than Yuri, who was still very small despite being fourteen years old, but the young boy was so angry that he didn't seem to be intimidated in the least.

Viktor: Watch what you say young man! I'm not going to give you money so that you can go and buy your fix right after!

Yuri: What do you care what I do! Stop acting like you care about me and give me some money!

Viktor: Can't you see that this shit is eating you up! Stop this bullshit! We can take you to the doctor!

Yuri: Shut up! You don't know how I feel!

The young man tried to flee from the confrontation and headed for the front door but was quickly blocked by his father's body.

Viktor: You're going to stay here until your mother comes home and we're going to have a talk.