Chapter 4

Silence. That's what had filled the room since the reunion at the door. Resistance just stood leaning against the kitchen door frame while holding two cups of hot black coffee, looking at Lucy. Her long-lost sister sat on the couch wrapped in a blanket and looked around the room nervously. She definitely looked different, yet somehow the same. It was very puzzling. Her hair was darker, and her eyes seemed to glow if that was even possible. Resistance looked down the hall to Lorelei's room before sighing deeply. This would certainly be difficult to explain to the little girl once she woke up. Of all the crazy things to happen recently, this topped them all.

Resistance finally decided to approach Lucy. "Here." She offered her one of the coffee cups, and the nervous woman looked between the cup and the other. "I wasn't sure what you liked to drink. I thought coffee would help warm you up." Resistance felt so uncomfortable, not knowing how to react in this situation.

Lucy took the cup and brought it close to her face to feel the warmth. Resistance figured that meant she was fine with the drink. She sat in a chair opposite of Lucy, facing the couch. The silence started again, despite the fact that Resistance had so many questions. "What happened? Where have you been all this time? Who took you? How did you escape?" were all questions sitting right at the tip of her tongue. She couldn't bring herself to hug her. Lucy was her sister and she missed her desperately of course, but itjust felt strange. "What happened to you, Lucy?" Resistance finally asked. Lucy looked at the floor. Resistance sighed, knowing she wasn't going to get an answer about that. "Did someone take you?"

Lucy's hair fell in her face as she lowered her head. Resistance sighed as she ran a hand through her own hair. She knew it wouldn't be easy for Lucy to open up. Victims who had been in captivity for a long time still had deep fear rooted into them.

Resistance rubbed her eyes. "Alright. It's fine if you don't want to tell me yet. Can you at least tell how you found my apartment?"

The disheveled girl stared into the steam rising from her coffee before she finally said something. "I've come before to see you. Far yet near... I could never let you see... I followed the light of your soul..." was all she said quietly before taking another drink of coffee.

Resistance's green eyes widened at this. Lucy had been watching her? For how long? Why didn't ever come to see her? "Did you see Mom?" Resistance asked carefully.

"Twice, but I can't anymore."

Resistance wondered if she meant she couldn't force herself to look at their mother's current state, or someone forbade her.

"Do you want to talk to her? I can call her, but she can be very—"

"No!" Lucy snapped, standing up quickly and spilling a little coffee.

Resistance stared at the other woman in surprise, not expecting such a loud reaction after having barely heard a word from Lucy this whole time. The detective could tell by Lucy's trembling that the outburst wasn't out spite or anger, but out fear and dread. "Okay, okay..." Resistance soothed. "I won't call her." She stood and guided Lucy to sit back down. As she was doing this, she saw just how tall her "little" sister had actually grown. She was taken aback somewhat, seeing that one one in their family was that height.

Lucy seemed to relax a bit at hearing this, but she still continued to be nervous and twitchy.

Resistance's eyes filled with emotion from holding it back for so long. "Did we do something to make you angry?" she asked her little sister, who looked a bit taken aback. "Is that why you never came back before? What did we do, Lucy? Did you know that grandma died? Why didn't you come see her in her last moments?" Resistance gushed, remembering holding the old woman's hand as she lay dying. A part of her broke in her final moments as she before she could have closure about her youngest grandchild.