6

Xiao felt...weird staying in the house with this human mortal. He knew that he was not allowed to leave, and he would not dare to even try considering his Lord had ordered it not be done, but it was hard to figure out why it was that his Master was so desperate that he stay inside the house. It was not as though he could not take care of himself, but he was not one to question the orders of Rex Lapis. He had never done so before, and he would not now. It was not his duty to do so. He had to be careful, he may not understand his Master's motive, but he was not allowed to question them either. He wondered what...what Barbatos was doing now, and he wondered if maybe he had been less...himself, if the Anemo Archon would have willingly offered to take over the contract, then Xiao would have never known that Rex Lapis was piddling away with some fancy new human life. It was dangerous, questioning Zhongli, it was dangerous to even hint that one was questioning the God, but that was understandable. Gods generally did not take well to being questioned. Xiao had learned that from his master before Rex Lapis.

"You did not know that Zhongli wanted to leave the position of Liyue's guardian did you?" Childe asked softly. Xiao shook his head, not wanting to talk but also not sure if Morax's command to answer Childe still was in effect. He knew that he should just speak, considering to not do so risked angering Morax, something which Xiao would much prefer to stay clear of as much as was possible. "Why did he not say anything?"

"I do not know," Xiao said quietly, his voice devoid of emotion, not wanting to do or say anything that is blaming Morax, considering he had no right to judge the other. He was confused, though, and uncertain how to handle everything that was going on. "Master's mind is...complex. I do not blame Master for wanting to leave..."

"But you wish he would have said something?" Childe guessed.

"I do not know," It was all that Xiao could state, he was not sure what else to say. There was not really anything more that he felt that he could say without potentially putting blame where it was not needed to be placed.

"It is fine to be angry with him," Childe stated, but Xiao did not deny nor confirm that statement, he was not going to potentially anger his Master by stating such things. Barring that, Morax had been his master for quite some time, he would not say anything against him. It was not his due to do so. Perhaps, someone else would have the reassurance in themselves to be able to question Morax, but that was not Xiao.

"How did you know where I was?" Xiao questioned, having just now realized that he had not prayed in Rex Lapis' name, and even if he had, Zhongli was not a regent over Liyue any longer, he should not have heard him despite that.

"It was that Anemo Archon. He freaked out on Zhongli. Not that I can blame him after having seen what you were dealing with. It seems that he may have actually under reacted. Let me say, before that moment I had thought that Venti..."

"Barbatos." Xiao corrected immediately. Childe smiled and rolled his eyes.

"Fine, Barbatos. Either way, I had not realized just how dangerous he was. I knew he was dangerous, of course, any being that was a god, either former or not, is dangerous. Either way, it was hard to see him like that until he came rearing at Zhongli. I would have almost been offended, but seeing the state that you were in when we found you? I can't blame him."

"It was not that bad," Xiao huffed.

"It was, though, and on top of that, clearly two different gods were worried about your condition. Don't dimish what you went through." Childe hissed. Xiao cringed backwards, but did not say another thing on top of that. "Look, I am just saying, I understand. Zhongli was out of line."

"No," Xiao stated instantly, but Childe shushed him, leaving Xiao to grit his teeth in annoyance, but it was not as though he could do anything but listen. He glared down at his nails but allowed Childe to continue on with what he wanted to say.

"I know you hold Zhongli in high regard, that is understandable, so do I. However, no matter what he still should have properly informed you and your friends, or comrades, or whatever it is that they are, that he was alive. Particularly if it took an in person splitting of your contract to ensure the validity of it. I apologize that he did not do that." Xiao just glared at the floor unsure what to say to all those...feelings. He was not sure that he liked the idea of Childe saying that Morax had done something wrong, even if he understood that Morax should have informed him, the reality was that Xiao did not think that he was duty bound to do so. It was within his lord's right and he had chosen not to.

"Xiao,"

"Stop," Xiao ordered, his voice clear and strong. "Rex Lapis is allowed to do what he wants. Perhaps I would have wanted to know in advance what was going to happen it is not his duty to inform me of it."

"Well, then it is my belief that he should have. It was cruel, and I am sure that you are aware of that, whether you will admit it or not." Childe sighed heavily. "You...I know that Zhongli cares for you, why he would not tell you, or at least make better preperations is beyond me, but either way, you are staying with us." Xiao furrowed his brows confused.

"What do you..."

"Zhongli has not released you from his service yet, merely from your contract, so, despite everything he does still want you around, close by. So you will just have to live with us, at least until you get better, I know that you are on the lone streak, but for now, just stay here. I know you do not like to do that sort of thing, and I know you prefer to be alone, but both Barbatos and Zhongli want you to stay with us, so, may as well do so."