𝟢𝟥 - 𝖯𝗈𝗍𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗂𝖺𝗅

[ Cassandra ]

"This doesn't feel safe." I murmur as I climb into the rickety van, noticing the hole in the roof.

"Yeah well it's gonna get even less safe when either one of those idiots starts driving it." Kiara rolls her eyes and John B and JJ, who are having a sword fight with sticks in front of the van.

"How did you guys all meet?" I ask her. She goes quiet and for a second I worry I touched a nerve, but then she clears her throat and turns to face me.

"I'm not really a Pogue," she admits "by family ties at least. My parents own the biggest diner business on the island, so we have money. And so, for the longest time, I grew up around all the Kooks. But I never really felt at place with those up-their-own-arses, rich dickheads. Apart from one.." She trails off.

"Who?" I speak tentatively.

"We aren't friends anymore so it doesn't matter." She snaps. I murmur a small sorry under my breath and lean back against they walls of the van. 

"I was depressed and I hated the environment I was forced to grow up. in," Kie continues after a breath. "My best friend and I got into a huge fight and we never recovered from it. I spent all my time at the beach because my Mum and I were constantly arguing."  She shifts in her seat and I look into my lap.

"One day I saw JJ surfing on the waves with John B," she explains "Pope was sat by the shore recording JJ as he did stupidly dangerous tricks. I'd seen them around at school but I was a Kook and they were Pogues so we didnt mix too much." 

"I guess I found comfort in watching them, all happy and carefree. So everyday after school I'd grab food from my Dad's diner and put it in a box and take it to the beach. I'd watch them for a while, having fun, then I'd go over and offer it to Pope, saying it was leftovers." She laughs "You should have seen his face; my Dad's diner was renowned for having the best eats on the island but was far too expensive for the Pogue salary."

"They told me they would be in my debt forever and asked jokingly how they could pay me back. I told them by being my friends, and I guess since then I just never stopped hanging with them," she smiles "best decision of my life." She looks over at me and jolts as if she's just woken up. "I said far too much, I overshare a lot, sorry."

"No its fine," I say "I'm still in shock over this whole Kooks v Pogues thing; I didnt realise it was such a big deal."

"Enemies since birth," JJ interrupts as he climbs into the van "they are all intolerable, rich arseholes. Kie is the only exception."

"But she's not really a Kook anyway" John B argues.

"True true," JJ agrees as he settles into the driver seat. 

"No way is JJ driving," Pope shakes his head "he's drunk."

"Mildy tipsy" JJ retorts, offended.

"Pope, relax man," John B's hands rest on Pope's shoulders, massaging his muscles lightly "it'll all be good."

Pope shrugs him off sighing "Just.. just drive"

"I second that!" JJ declares as he pulls on the handle and the van's engine emits a worrying splutter "lets go party!"

The beach was littered with drunk teenagers, dancing in the dark to pop songs. Someone in black sunglasses (despite it being nighttime) was stood behind a crate acting as DJ, and playing music through his speaker. The area was dimly lit up by strings of fairy lights, centred mainly around the keg where beer was being served in plastic red cups.