Rememberence

His eyes

His eyes. It's his eyes. They stare into my soul, they bring out the parts of me that I didn't know existed. They are two turquoise oceans that find their way into my heart, they are what I noticed when I first saw that raven haired boy in the gardens four hundred years ago, and they are what I continue to admire.

Damon's POV

She's the same as when I saw her four-hundred-years ago but yet so different. Her eyes have become duller, they used to be so full of light, it was almost as if they turned gold when she was happy, now they've become brown- too much like Katherines, although they are not related. I didn't think I could feel sadness anymore, but seeing the loss of light in her eyes ripped open a stitch I didn't know I had. I stand still, which is so unlike me. What I want to do is so much different from what I do.

I want to pick her up and kiss her lips, just to see if they are as soft as I remember, I want to hold her as we lay in bed, I want to apologize for everything I did to her, I want to ask her what she's been doing since I saw her, I want to make everything better between us, I want things I know are too hard to get, I want her. But I can't have her and I can't have these feelings. I can't love her and Elena. I can't do that to her, again.

So, I stand still and stare. I can't move. I can't speak. Or at least I don't allow myself to.

Aurelia's POV

As I stand, frozen. At his doorstep. Those eyes look me up and down, confused, shocked, happy, saddened, I'm not sure, but I love it. I love that I am able to see those eyes again. We stand in silence, unmoving, that is until another person comes to the door.

"Damon, who is it?" That voice. " Quiet, is a new look on you." He laughs as he approaches, he hasn't seen me yet. He steps around Damon, and he sees me. His mouth hangs open, his brows are furrowed, confused.

"Aura..." He mumbles and steps past Damon, moving towards me. he touches my arm and laughs, " I knew you weren't one to die in such a ordinary way." I smile and wrap my arms tightly around his neck, "It's so good to see you," I say, I mean to say it to both of them, but really I am directing it towards someone in particular. As my arms are wrapped around his neck and his arms are wrapped around my waist, I stare into those crystaline pools of emeralds. He says nothing, pity.

Stefan lets go and backs away, as if he's taking my presence in. "How are you alive?" He asks, I turn my attention away from Damon, " Lots of running," I replied, I'd been on the run from a certain someone for a very long time, someone evil and devious, someone I'd once been stupid enough to trust. Someone introduced to me by Katerina, someone I loved but hated, but they knew none of that. And I hope they never find out just how much that person meant to me at one point in my life. But I know they will discover my secrets at one point or another, because of her, Elena- the remaining Doppleganger.

I turn back to face Damon but he's gone. I sigh and look away, "He'll be back, " Stefan sighs, his hands are tucked into his jean' pockets.

"It's fine, this gives us more time to catch up."

"Where have you been for these past four-hundred- years?" He asks, his head turned. I wrap a piece of my hair around my finger and start curling it as I begin to speak, " oh you know, just around..." he shakes his head." You were always cryptic, I guess that hasn't changed."

"We looked for you." He blurts out. I face him. His face is unreadable as he stares at the floor. I want to tell him where I have been this whole time but it won't make anything happier. So instead of telling the truth, I change the subject. "Katerina." I utter. His head whips up to face me, like this is the most interesting topic that could possibly be spoken of. He looks angry- so angry, she was horrible to them, i understand why they would hate her, she was horrible to me too. But she is still my sister, and although I do hate her most times I do still love her.

"Her doppleganger... she's here," i reveal. I watch his expression. This news seems to be known to him. I laugh and stand up from the bench. I run my hands through my hair in annoyance, maybe frustration, but definitely envy. "Of course." I shake my head. And suddenly it all becomes clear.

"Is that why you are back?" I shout, " For her?" I say a little quieter. I can't look at him anymore. Because it's always been Kat. Damon always loved Kat. Stefan always loved Kat. Kat always loved Kat. It's always been Kat. And now it's going to always be Elena. They are both here for her- for her love, for her heart.

"You never were looking for me." I whisper and walk down the steps. I walk down that impossibly long path, back to my cherry red convertible. I stand at my car, facing the house, I see him through the curtains, staring, watching me go, again. And suddenly I remember why. I remember why I left.

Damon's POV

I left the room. I don't know how to explain everything, not yet. But she seems to have figured it out without an explanation. She storms off to her car. But even when she is angry she does the right thing, not for herself but for others. We are so different. She shouts to Stefan from her car, her cherry red convertible, a fucking gorgeous car I you ask me, red is still her favourite colour, she yells that Elena is in trouble which we've known for a while. I watch her leave, again. But it doesnt hurt this much this time, because I'm going to speak to her again and I know where she'll be. Just like the old days. Wherever the booze is.

Aurelia's POV

"Aura come back!" He shouts from his place on the porch. I see Damon watching me leave from the window. If he wants to see me- to speak to me then he will find me, I have no doubt about it. And I don't know if I want him to or not. I hope he does but I don't want him to come for me but for him...

Stefan stands on the porch, his hands at his sides. I open the door, I am about to get in when I remember something. I turn.

"Oh Stefan?" I yell, he really isn't that far away, he can still hear me breathing, he can hear my heart beating, so can Damon.

"She's in danger, protect her like I know you will." With that I got in my car and drove off. I can't sit here and wait for Damon to love me again. He couldn't even speak to me today. His heart has always been dedicated to someone else. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But I've been in other peoples shadows for far too long, I promised myself so many years ago that I would change. And this is one step towards that.

So, back to the bar I go.

Booze is the key to my heart. Well, and a bouquet of wildflowers, those are the beauty of my soul.