Chapter Three

The cell door startles me awake. A hand is grasping my uniform and pulling me up before I even have the chance to wake up. Bucky's eyes shoot open but he refrains from staring at me. I don't miss the calm tap of his fingers against the floor. 

Remember. 

That's what we always tell each other when one of us is pulled out this way. It means there is a mission, an urgent mission. We don't have time to tap out a full message, so this says everything. Remember me, remember HYDRA is evil, remember who you are. 

...

He pushes me into the cool metal chair and the man in black cuffs my wrists to it. 

A woman with curly brown hair digs her fingers into my jaw and forces my mouth open. She slides the mouth guard in its place. 

My body shakes against its will. 

I want to remember. 

The machine starts buzzing and tightens uncomfortably on my head. The hum of electricity gets closer and closer. I let out a scream, my teeth clenched on the mouth guard. 

"Spider," 

Remember. 

"Three," 

Remember. 

"Desire," 

Remember. 

"Nine," 

Remember. 

"Daybreak," 

I'm too weak. 

"Fire," 

Everything goes quiet. The hum of electricity stops, but the restraints don't loosen. 

"Soldier," 

"Read to comply." 

The cuffs on my wrist pop open and my head is freed. I stand up and follow Pierce through the room. He has my next mission. It is my duty to follow orders. 

We walk into the room next door and I stand behind an old wood table and stare at the large screen. Pierce stands on the other end with two agents on each side of him. A picture flashes on the screen. 

The lady has shoulder-length red hair. Her face is narrow but her lips are full. She has green eyes. I study the rest of her face, it is my duty to memorize the target's face. 

"She needs to be taken out at all costs. Target Red. Our intelligence suggests that she will be traveling with one other enhanced person.  You will be dropped off right in front of them." 

They tell me what I need to know, and only what I need to know. No reason to know a name in a mission like this, it would be a distraction. Target Red is the highest level, usually a traitor or someone who is an imminent threat to HYDRA. 

"Yes sir," I say short and choppy. 

...

They drop me at the side of the bridge and tell me the plates on their car. As I see the car approach I flip myself over the ledge onto the highway and duck behind the cars in other lanes. 

"The car is identified. I am engaging," I say into my suit. They can hear everything I'm saying and know everything I'm doing. They send in backup on their own accords, it isn't worth asking for it. Not that I would ever need it anyways. 

I shoot a web out at the exit sign and fling myself on top of their car. With one hand I reach through the windshield and grab the steering wheel. 

The car is still moving and I have to stick one hand to the hood so I don't fall off. I see the HYDRA car speeding up behind them. Moments before the contact I jump up and stick to the roof. I let go and let myself fall back before attaching to the HYDRA car as it rams into Target Red.