𝟎𝟐 | 𝐉𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐀

I kicked the sand beneath my scuffed sandals, walking down the shoreline and towards my family's bed-and-breakfast, Stellholm-Smith Villas. The American boy from earlier — Ambrose, he said his name was — trudged on behind me. I had no idea why this oddball of a kid was following behind me.

"May I help you?" I spun around so I was half-facing him, head cocked to the side. "Oh, no. Not at all; just heading to the place I'm staying at," he grinned.

"But our villas are the only residences around... oh." Ambrose lifted a sculpted brow, questioning my choice of words.

"Oh, my family owns it," I brushed it away with a flick of my hand, still watching him. His eyes widened, "Ohhh...so that's why that Zeke dude called you Stellholm..."

"Zach."

"Sorry?"

"His name is Zach. Zachary Hardings."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say,"

When we reached the main house of the seaside bed-and-breakfast, I pushed the chipped ivory-painted door without bothering to knock. "Hi, Ms Halloway! How's it going?"

The housekeeper of the residency looked up from the front desk. "Hey Amberley! What have we here?" Ms Halloway removed her specs, walking over.

"Oh, this kid tricked me into thinking he was drowning, then stalked me all the way here." I rolled my eyes.

Ambrose burned crimson, "Sorry...I thought it was pretty harmless..." he fiddled with the woven bracelet on his left wrist.

I shut my eyes exasperatedly before opening them and side-eyeing him. "Well, obviously not. I wouldn't get so angry if it were a harmless joke. Someone could've actually drowned!"

I glanced at the older lady. "Males," we muttered in unison.

I chuckled quietly before turning to the perpetrator as Ms Halloway sat back at her work station and slipped her eyewear back on.

"I'm going to go wash all this salt off now." Then, against my better judgment, spun around. "Um... are you going to be at the beach party later?"

The boy shrugged one shoulder. "I didn't know there was gonna be one. Sounds boring anyway."

I gasped exaggeratedly. "You obviously haven't ever been to one. It's not just a typical party but on the beach, y'know. There're always people swimming and surfing, and we play exclusively beachy music. One year, someone even gave out leis. And there are fresh coconuts and tropical mocktails. It's so fun, especially with more people! You should totally come," I blushed slightly when I saw his amused smirk and realised I had been rambling.

I didn't even know why I was encouraging him to come and thus possibly subjecting myself to more time spent with him. Maybe because introducing island visitors to the culture I grew up in gave me a thrill? Or made me feel useful? Maybe because I wanted to impress someone? That someone being Mrs Halloway, of course. I mean, why would I feel the need to impress some childish boy who had tried to prank me?

Pshhh. Yeah, nah.

Then, my favourite housekeeper spoke up. "I think it'd be good for you to go. You know, your parents mentioned you were pretty shy when you signed in, so maybe you could make a few friends for your stay here."

"I think I'll just- " He began to shuffle towards one of the staircases before I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ugjh, c'mon! I'll be so out of place! I won't even know anyone there — well, except you, I guess."

"I'll even keep you company! You can hang out with me and a couple of my friends... if you want, of course..." I just short of begged him, clasping my hands together on my chest.