(16) the super secret russian plot

GETTING INVOLVED IN A SUPER SECRET RUSSIAN PLOT hadn't been on Sam's bucket list for 1985 but she supposed life worked in mysterious ways. Nothing made sense to her yet, she was starting to believe that it never would and that night she hadn't slept. Words of Russian had been swirling in her mind as she fought the possibility that Dustin could actually be right, that this could mean something.

Regardless, the following day she found herself back at Scoops Ahoy skiving work under the pretence that she had a headache. She sat in the back room on the table in front of Robin. The girl was leant on the sofa with a concentrated expression on her eyes as she read over the code for what felt like the hundredth time.

She'd been doing this for around two hours now while also trying to serve customers. Steve and Dustin were trying to spot Russians inside Starcourt which Sam believed was a pointless quest that would lead them nowhere. She still wasn't sure exactly why she was here but Dustin believed it necessary. Maybe he was planning on intercepting another code.

However, Steve and Dustin's naive and frankly foolish plan had left Sam alone in the company with Robin which was something that she hadn't been prepared for. The reason she was so willing to help out in this stupid plot against the Russians was simply because it meant she could spend time with Robin. Maybe she was losing money from missing work and spending restless nights wondering what the hell was going to come of it but she could see Robin, that's all she really wanted.

She watched the girl closely as she pondered the code, her brows were furrowed which caused the lines between them to stand out in shadow. Sam leant forwards to watch her freckles more closely and Robin didn't even notice because she was so absorbed in what she was doing. This was almost perfect. Sam felt she could sit there all day given the chance.

Robin muttered the words under her breath in a beautiful tone, dragging one nail covered in chipped black polish and some scratchings of pen over the lines. Yet she could never just sit and observe Robin in peace which meant in the next second, her brain burnt with the idea of words.

"Hey Robin?" Sam asked, her voice slightly high pitched.

"Mmm hmm"

"I wanted to tell you something" Sam stated nervously, playing with a loose thread on her T-shirt.

"What is it?" Robin murmured in a way that suggested she wasn't paying attention.

"So... your song" Sam stared at Robin's rings, "I really liked it and um... I... well I suppose I related to it"

"Yeah" Robin stated as a simple response which alerted the fact that she probably hadn't even heard what Sam had told her.

"Yeah because I too wish I could fuck the ocean" Sam said dully.

"Totally" Robin nodded.

Sam huffed to herself as she watched the girl. She was slightly pissed at the lack of response even though she was well aware that this Russian plot was probably more important than her emotions yet she wanted to tear the notebook away from under her eyes and force the girl to look at her by lifting her perfectly pointed chin with her curved forefinger. She had it playing in her head in buzzing VHS.

"Robin, can you listen to me?" Sam stated clearly.

Robin tore her eyes away from the notebook and it was when her crisp blue eyes collided with Sam's when she felt she was very much out of her depth. Everything had seemed easier when she wasn't paying attention.

"Sorry" Robin laughed, "this has me all... interested and shit, what were you saying?"

"Your song" Sam said very quickly before her mind could stop herself, "I really like your song"