12

The next thing Kaitlyn knew was laughter. Familiar, male laughter that tied her insides into knots.

'What did you tell me, Kaitlyn?' the voice spoke. 'That you were further away from me than ever before?'

Kaitlyn blinked as Satan's room slowly took form before her eyes. She was lying in bed, staring up at the candelabra. A blanket covered her. The pillow was soft beneath her head. So different to the hard floor of the terrifying little house in the mountains.

Kaitlyn turned her head. Satan was standing by the bed, smiling down on her. His red robe was drawn open, revealing his hard chest and a pair of white, linen pants that were so thin they revealed everything beneath.

His eyes sparked within the flaming light of the torches. 'What's happened? Where are your angels?' Taking a breath, he closed his eyes. 'I feel you. I feel you like the blood rushing through human veins. Like a beating heart.' He opened his eyes, still holding his triumphant smile. 'Until I possess my mortal body and experience it for real, I suppose you'll be the closest thing I have to a heart.' He cocked his head. 'Kind of romantic, isn't it?'

Kaitlyn didn't respond.

He frowned as his searing blue eyes darted over her face. 'Something's wrong. You look upset.' He sat on the edge of the bed with a rakish grin. 'Jacob not living up to my standards?'

Kaitlyn sat up. 'Do you know of a Madam Sheree?'

'Who?'

'She's a witch who wants to help you rule the world.'

He raised his eyebrows. 'Does she now?'

'She thinks that you'll reward her if she hands me over to you.'

His eyebrows raised higher. 'She has you.'

Kaitlyn sniffed.

'Where are you, Kaitlyn?'

Kaitlyn opened her mouth, then shut it.

'Tell me,' he said in a husky voice. He touched her thigh, then smoothed his hand up towards her crotch. 'Let me have you. You might as well. I'm going to find you eventually.'

'I shouldn't.'

'But you will.' His eyes bored into hers. 'I can see it in your face. What has she done to you that you hate her so much?'

'She hurt Jacob!' Kaitlyn choked. 'And she said she'll kill him if I don't do what she told me to do.'

'And what did she tell you to do?' Lucifer said steadily.

'Tell you where we are, of course.'

Lucifer's eyes flashed. 'Tell me.'

Kaitlyn opened and shut her mouth.

'TELL ME!'

'No!'

'Tell me and I can save him!'

Kaitlyn's heart leapt. 'What?'

'Think about it.' His cheeks were flushed. His eyes were bright. He grabbed onto her hip. 'You must tell me. If you don't, Jacob will die and for what reason? I'm still going to find you. You're still going to be mine. No matter if I find you now or later.'

'Not if my angels find me first,' she said. The witch's words came back to her: Just as Satan could not find you, now your angels will know what it's like to be blind.

'Your angels.' The corner of his mouth twitched as his eyes searched her face. He gave a soft chuckle. 'You're lying. They're not going to find you. You're stuck.'