16. Decaying Roses, Decaying Souls

Chapter Sixteen || Decaying Roses, Decaying Souls

Mélodie

I had managed to sneak out of the manor we were staying at while we were still in Paris. According to Valentin, who was doing more ruling that I - the queen - we were going to be staying in Paris for a while. Last I heard we would be here until New Years. Then January 1st we would go back to New France and be married. From there I would officially start ruling my country.

The only thing I wanted back in my country was my brother. Other than that I didn't want to leave Paris. I didn't want to leave the Opéra Populaire. I didn't want to leave Erik - who right now isn't speaking to me.

I went back to the Opéra Populaire, all my belongings still in my old room. Even though Valentin said I didn't need them anymore I insisted on bringing them home with me. One of these days we'll get it all loaded and shipped to New France. Then my life here is officially over.

I took out the drawing supplies I had bought during my birthday and laid them on my untouched bed. Seeing the dried up rose on my nightstand made my heart ache and my eyes stung with fresh tears. I thought I would be all cried out by now. I held the dead rose close to my chest, imagining it was Erik. On my window sill was a bouquet of all the roses he had given me. I was afraid someone would have thrown it away by now. I'm glad they didn't. Untying the black ribbon around my neck that used to hold a crystal rose I wrapped it around the bundle of decaying flowers. Opening my trunk I saw the cape he had let me wear which I had forgotten to give back. I set that on the bed, too. My trunk with filled with all the things Erik had given me. Notes, presents, love letters. I couldn't take them all with me now. I would have to come back for them.

Tying Erik's cape over the cloak I had been wearing, I grabbed the flowers and drawing supplies and left. I was glad Violette hadn't awoken.

I sat atop a gargoyle on the roof overlooking Paris. The days when I would come up here and draw seemed like years ago. I had felt so free. I remembered coming up here with Erik. I held the roses close to me for support.

I sat there and drew until I could tell the sun would soon peak over the horizon. Gathering my things I crawled back down to the roof. Passing a familiar hallway on my way out of the dark opera house I stopped. Biting my lip I went down the unlit hallway and opened the door to the empty Prima Donna's room.

I made sure they found another woman to fill in the empty slot for Prima Donna before I left. This new singer didn't leave too much of a mess. I will miss having to clean it all up.

The mirror looked as regal as ever. The woman I saw in its reflection didn't even look like me. I didn't like having to wear corsets and heavy five layer gowns. I didn't like having to wear tight heels and gloves. I missed my loose comfortable maid dress and my beat up work shoes. I miss having my hair in a wild bun. I miss having my face clean of makeup. I miss being free.

I looked away before I threw something at the mirror. I wanted to shatter the image of myself.

I turned to leave, not bothering to look for Erik. I had come looking before and he had closed off all the passageways so I couldn't get to him.

The next day I avoided my reflection as my maid tied my corset so tight I couldn't hardly breath. I was too disconnected from the world to ask her to loosen it.

All I did was sit around and stare out the window, wanting to be free, wanting to be normal, wanting to be with Erik.

Whenever I was alone I would continue to draw, which means I drew most of the day. Christmas was coming near and I was determined to finished the gift I had started for Erik. Let him throw it away if he wants to. Nothing is going to stop me from giving it to him.