335 43 13

When there's nothing new happening in our lives, we tend to start liking the nothingness of it all

When there's nothing new happening in our lives, we tend to start liking the nothingness of it all. Sumedh was no different.

Usually a chaotic guy, he found a new friend called silence. The days started to look the same; sitting on the window pane, staring at that sky, mulling the same thoughts over and over, and above everything else, the silence that surrounded it all. Life became terribly monotonous, yet, he wasn't tired of that boredom at all.

"Knock...Knock..." Sumedh's eyes instantly darted towards the door to see who was trying to break his reverie. Surprisingly, the door was already opened. It was then he noticed his sister standing right by his side.

"Knock...Knock...," she said once again, tapping on his leg.

"The door's closed," he replied just as he had done as a child a number of times.

"Don't worry," she said flinging his leg aside and claiming the other half of the window pane, "I know how to open it."

That's how it used to happen till his sister was living with them. Sumedh was always reluctant to share his space. There was a certain sense of possessiveness around everything he did. However, Avneet just wasn't someone who would stop watching a boundary. She would utter a quick 'Knock...Knock...' and just claim whatever she wished. After all, being the elder of the siblings always had its perks. Not that the younger one was troubled by it though. Sumedh knew he had the sweetest sister he could ever get. Both chuckled remembering the sweet memory of their childhood.

"When did you arrive?" there was a newfound excitement in his voice.

"Early morning," she said watching the sun change its colour outside the window.

"Why didn't mom or dad tell me you're coming?"

"Mom says she did," Avneet nodded at the questioning glance of her brother, "Apparently you were so preoccupied in your thoughts that you just shrugged it off."

His silence told everything.

Avneet leaned towards him to ruffle his hair, "What's wrong kiddo?"

Sumedh couldn't even explain how good it felt to have someone ruffle his hair while calling him a kiddo. A gesture which made him forget all the teenage worries and be a little kid once again. Oh, how much he missed his big sister all these days.

"Nothing," he shrugged, making a desperate effort to effort to hide his messed up life.

Avneet quietly leaned back to rest against the window pane, folded her hands, and stared at him. Those eyes could see right through him. For the first time in a couple of weeks, silence was making Sumedh uncomfortable. Finally, he gave up.

As he finished narrating the events of the recent past, he could see a disappointed look on his sister's face.

"You haven't changed a bit," once again leaning in to ruffle his hair, "Still the restless little brother that I left behind."