Chapter 2

I woke in a cold sweat, scanning the room for any sign of danger. Fear coursed through my mind, and I instantly knew it wasn't mine. Sighing, I got up. Titus watched my every move as he stood by the door, waiting.

It had been less than a day since we arrived at the manor, and although everyone was settled in, Raven hadn't been able to sleep without constant nightmares or screaming. Father had put Raven three doors down from me at Dick's request. I didn't exactly know why until the nightmares started, but as I made my way through the hall, it made sense. He knew of Raven's nightmares and of our connection to each other's minds.

I opened the door, sliding in and closing it behind me. Raven lay in the middle of the bed, her body shaking and her hands gripping the sheets so tightly that they balled in her hand. Making my way over, I gently shook her. "Raven."

Magic flew around her like thick black smoke; it flared, glowing purple. I shook her again, harder this time. "Raven."

Springing up, she looked around wildly. Sweat poured down her face, her dark purple eyes wide. Within seconds, the magic disappeared. I grabbed her face in my palms, looking into her eyes, and laid her head on my chest. "You're okay." I whispered, and a sob tore through her throat as she gripped my shirt.

I don't know how long I sat there holding her to my chest, but eventually I laid down with her head on my chest. Raven was quiet now; her cries now sniffled. Her body was limp against mine, like a heavy stone. Instead of being uncomfortable or suffocated by the pressure, it felt natural, comforting, and safe.

I had done this a lot over the years. At first, it was uncomfortable and unsettling, but now it was different. We had grown closer, and with it, our bond seemed to grow, our mental link stronger than before. I could sense, see, and feel everything she would.
Shifting slightly, I grabbed her hand, prying it away from my shirt. Raven protested, grabbing tighter. " Easy."  I say softly, moving us so we're under the covers.

I felt Raven relax; her breathing was slow. Letting out a yawn, she closed her eyes. Watching her sleep, I commented on whether to return to my room, but taking one look at her sleeping form, I knew that it would be impossible without waking her. Sighing, I made myself comfortable, giving Titus the command to hop on the bed. He settled at the end of the bed, laying his head on his paws.

I wake up to voices outside the room and listen intently.

"Damian's not in his room." My father says, "I don't know where he is."

"He's probably on a run," Connor says, "and he won't 'till another 45."

I hear a sigh. "Why is he avoiding us?" He won't call, and if we do, he just declines. Emails, phones, and even us visiting didn't make him talk."

I'm surprised at the amount of frustration and guilt in his voice. Was it really possible that he wanted to spend time with me? No. I shake my head. My father never spent time, nor did anyone else but my team. I hear their voices getting fainter as they walk down the hall. I look around and nearly freeze.
8:15.

It was 8:15. I never woke past or before 4:30, no matter how many hours I slept. I could function on the tiniest amount of sleep and was always in the training room by this time. As if sensing my stiffness, Rapven's tired mind wrapped around mine, calming me.

Yawning, she slowly sat up, and I frowned at her condition. Her skin was pale and sunken in, and her purple eyes had become dull. She looked weak and sick, lifeless even. Seeing me stare, Raven immediately wrapped the blanket tightly around her, giving me a fake smile.

"I'm okay." Raven rasped, her voice heavy with sleep.

Under different circumstances, I would've let it pass, but something inside me growled. Telling me to fix it and that there was more I could do.