#4 - UNSHATTERED SOULS.

Covering the cold, dimly lit street was a blanket of snow, which wasn't a strange thing in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a well-known fact no one moved across the bridge during this time of the night, especially on a snowy day.  Only fools would dare.

However, Andre found himself in that position as he drove down the Korean War Veterans Bridge. He was trying his best to concentrate when the dramatic whine of his dog broke through the silence of the night.

"Come on, girl. I told you, just a few more minutes and we'll be home, it's too cold to pee outside at this time of the night," He repeated for the fifth time since they left the veterinary clinic half an hour ago.

Why did it have to be so far? He nearly shouted in frustration but paused as he remembered that they had stopped for a late-night snack.

Suddenly, Hope snapped her head up and sniffed the air, an act she carried out only when she sensed impending danger. Andre saw her through the rearview mirror and groaned, hoping she would leave it at that. They lived on the island and it was getting late.

His job was to focus on the road. And the road he would—

Andre screamed as he hit the brakes, the car screeching to a halt. Caught off guard, the action knocked the air out of his lungs as he lurched into the steering wheel. Struggling to catch his breath, he slowly raised his head as tried to get his bearings.

The amber color of his headlights shone down the bridge casting a glow on the disheveled figure in front of his car.
Figure?

Lord, he had nearly killed someone.

Unlatching his belt, he grabbed his grey jacket from the passenger seat and slid it on before stepping out into the cold night. He couldn't add catching a cold to the list of his problems.

Pocketing his keys, Hope's incessant pawing at the window of the back seat drew his attention to her. Shaking his head, he decided not to let her out till he had examined the figure in front of his car.

As his boots trudged on the sleek road, Andre tried to regulate his breathing in order to hide his fear. A sound came behind him and he nearly jumped out of his skin. Looking over his shoulder, he saw a big mass of ginger fur, Hope, jump out through the window and he watched as she ran over to the nearest opening to pee.

"Uh, no! Don't! In the car, now!" He ordered, but his warning fell on deaf ears as Hope raised her hind legs to relieve herself.

The cold wind knifed through him, tussling his hair and jacket as he ran to where the dog was. "Hope!" he screamed. "You get back into the car now, Hope!"

Deep down, Andre knew she wasn't going to listen, that he was only trying to buy time and evade meeting the person he nearly hit. Straightening himself, he took a deep breath and carefully walked till he was a few steps ways from the figure who was clad in a dark blue overcoat and black flat-heeled boots.

Upon a closer inspection, Andre realized it was a female who had inky black hair that swept around her face, partially obscuring her features. Her posture was as rigid as ice and the coat flapped around her like the wings of a bird.

Hope cocked her head to the side trying to study her and then padded over to Andre's side to watch her. Andre's brain went into overdrive as he tried to think of what to do to the stranger who sat unmoving like a block of ice.

The figure sat like she couldn't feel anything or had shut out the outside world and was now trapped in a world of hers.

Cautious, he grabbed her shoulders and knelt into the snow, his action followed by a crunching sound. Yet, the figure didn't move.