#8 - BREAKING AWAY.

ORION NNEOMA LAMONT

Everywhere looked like hell. Smelt like it. And suddenly, became it. Slurring out profanities, he took in more gulps of Spirytus Vodka as his colossal, blood-stained chestnut eyes darted here and there.

Hanging slack was his jutted jaw letting his mouth slightly open, as he consumed more and more glasses of the intoxicant before him.

"Nuray." I sighed as I took calculated steps toward him. Hoping not to regret this nor to have my intentions misinterpreted.

Hoping not to end up as a scapegoat when I have committed no crime. For Nuray Igwe was a violent beast.

I took more calculated steps towards him and froze when those colossal blood-stained eyes met mine and all I could read was pure disdain.

Nevertheless, I spoke up.

"You've taken enough bottles of... of that Vodka. Y-You should take no more."

At first, I thought it was going to be a deafening silence that would follow suit. That silence where we both will ponder and have a rethink. But the clinking of bottles on the marbled ground killed such thought.

"You're such a mistake, that I would n-never..." He coughed, choking as splutters of saliva escaped his mouth. "You killed my dreams, Orion." He slurred.

I was such a mistake?

Oh wow.

So much for being caring. So much for backing away from my family and cleaving to him. I was such a helpless Idiot.

I heard a click and then darkness fell upon the room. The square of the windows let in little rays of light which did a poor job of illumination.

Nuray was the one. He must have played with the room switch, which was just behind the chair he sat on. As darkness slowly flooded the room, I felt a sense of deja vu.

Same time last month, on a fateful night like this, Nuray had toyed with light, rendered me defenseless and had beaten me to a point where I wished I was rather dead than alive. The pain that came with that night was damn excruciating.

But I still love him.

Even when he never failed to remind me how much pain in the behind, I was to him. How opportunities, my presence in his life, had denied him. And how accursed I was.

Something hard collided with my left chin and I let out a sharp cry.

Tears stung my eyes and I veered back, hoping nothing lethal was behind me as my eyes searched for his silhouette. But none, I found. Due to nyctalopia, it was impossible for me to see in slightly dark places without my glasses. Nuray knew and took advantage of that. Just like he did, last month.

Something sharp cut through my left chin, pelting off my skin. Now, I couldn't hold back the tears as they rolled my cheeks. I began to weep.

"You have no right to tell me what is enough or not!" Nuray spat. "Useless women like...like you a-are the cause of the problem we men are facing today... in... this country." The rest of his words came out in slurs.

"You're such a beast! And you will rot in hell!" I barked.

I couldn't see him but with how close his voice sounded; I knew he was just a breath away. I had to defend myself. But it would be stupid of me to try to defend myself against someone I couldn't see.

I instinctively brought my hands to my face as blows graced it, trying to shield myself from him. Of course, that wasn't enough so, I fell. I fell hard to the ground, writhing in pain.