Chapter 2: Silent Suffering (pt.2)

Cale wondered inside his head in bewilderment, 'did I mishear something?'.

Firstly, he was pulled into this place against his own will, by a damn God nonetheless. Secondly, this god bluntly told him that he was affected by a curse– and it sounded so casual for his liking.

Not an information that he was cursed– yet the fucktard said that he's still affected by it.

'What is this kind of bullshit?'

It's really been a while since he heard such a crappy joke. Are all the gods that bad at joking?

"Listen here, god or whatever in the world you are, nothing gives you the right to tell such a terrible joke. I'm tired of your bullshit already and I would like you to let me go back now."

He glared at the darkness around him despite not being able to see anyone around, he knew the God of Death would be around here somewhere.

(Cale Henituse, you should know and understand this isn't just a silly joke. The pain you felt before coming to this place was merely the beginning of the curse's effects, and the clearest evidence you need to believe this thing.)

The God of Death's voice sounded again, however this time it was more serious and firm. As if he was done playing around. Cale frowned at the change of the attitude but decided to listen some more.

(This curse is being bestowed on someone else, however your soul is getting affected by that cursed soul. It's all a part of a certain god's scheme to hurt you even if indirectly.)

Even though Cale was just a kid, this fact didn't change that he was a Thames. One of the people who knows the most about gods.

Some of the Thames were even cursed because of their special blood, however they all used it to their advantage and achieved great things before disappearing for some unknown reason.

The sudden disappearance of the supposed Baron family was just a little mystery that was somehow pushed out of everyone's mind.

No one seemed to bother and investigate the real reason behind their disappearance, or even why– nobody seems to care enough about it.

As if they just became a meaningless speck of dust, as if their existence meant nothing from the very beginning.

Cale thought that he might be cursed, considering his unique blood as a Thames. But when the God of Death said he was 'affected' by a curse, he started to feel iffy.

He hasn't been doing anything significant that would make him a target of a God's wrath or something akins. If anything, he's a non-believer– which so many people are as well.

He was a fucking kid for hell sake.

That's why he didn't believe it at first. But he didn't know how he should react since this seems to be a serious matter with each word he's hearing.

He didn't think the God of Death would lie about something like this as well.

However, Cale wasn't that bothered by this fact yet.

"And? What am I supposed to do by knowing this?"

From what he heard till now, it doesn't seem as if he's able to do anything to counter this curse. The curse wasn't his, that god was targeting him, and he was nothing more than a five years old child. Even with him being a Thames with his high intelligence.

(I can't seem to sense any fear or worry from you. Don't you care about your own life anymore, little one?)

The God of Death sounded astonished for once, and Cale couldn't help but scoff.

"As if. It's just that I will not worry myself with something I do not have the ability to deal with. I only have one life and I'm planning to live it to its fullest."

—Ha...hahahahaha!

Cheerful laughter erupted in the seemingly empty space around Cale. Cale listened silently until the God of Death's laughter ended, merely arching a brow at the sudden loud sound.

(All I can tell you about the curse for now is that you will be suffering from an even more massive pain as your life continues, the pain will be intolerable as it will affect your soul directly rather than your body.)

"You pile of dogshit.."

—Cough cough!

The God of Death almost choked while hearing the angry words of this five years old child. He could swear by his godhood that he'll remember every little detail and complain to that esteemed goddess.

He was sure she would like to hear about Cale's antics.

Trying his best to ignore those words as he found it actually to be adorable, the God of Death continued his words.

(As the beloved child of the gods, we decided to help you to lessen this pain. And before you cut me with another rude comment, let me explain first.)

Cale clicked his tongue while grumbling internally, planning to listen some more even though he couldn't help the piling words inside him.

'Beloved child of the gods my ass. You don't even want to deal with this damn curse–'

(Breaking a curse like this would disturb the balance of the whole world, this curse ran deep and long from ancient times. The God of Balance would not stay silent at the amount of chaos and destruction that will happen.)

'Ah yes. How did I forget that crazy bitch?'

Cale's eyebrows twitched as he facepalmed and sighed loudly, causing the God of Death to grin.

The God of Balance, one of the strongest gods and may be the most ruthless. Not caring about rightness, fairness, morals or anything like that at all. His only goal was to keep the world's balance, not bothering with any means he's using.

(It seems you finally remembered. That's why we're planning to lessen your pain as it's the only thing we could do. No one is willing to receive more punishment from that esteemed person.)

The God of Death said as a shiver ran down his spine before a glint of anticipation shone in his eyes. If Cale was able to see him, he would probably curse him loudly, knowing too well how this shitty god is actually enjoying his misery.

(Humans are the most unpredictable beings in the world, who knows what will happen in the future? Maybe you will be able to escape from this curse somehow, Cale.)

Cale smiled brightly without uttering a word, and not so respectfully raised both of his middle fingers in the air.

"At least the pain will be less, congratulations. You scored some more positive points with me, bastard."

Cale could hear two sounds of laughter this time as his eyes slowly closed.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Opening his eyes, Cale was met with the worried faces of his parents.

"Cale!"

"My son, you finally woke up!"

Cale was hugged by his parents tightly and did all he can to not wince in pain. The tight hug only made the pain worse. However, not wanting to worry them, he only tried his best to hug them back.

The pain was indeed more bearable now, that's why he decided–

He will hide all of his pain behind a smile, bearing the silent suffering without any regrets.

Words count: around 1200

꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊