Eleven

VIOLENCE WAS NEVER THE ANSWER.

Hearing that phrase as a kid, Sierra thought it made sense. A never-ending brawl begins if someone hits you and you hit back.

When Scott was bitten, and her powers developed, she tried to maintain the philosophy— especially when training Liam, Hayden, and their friends. Together, she and Scott worked to show them forgiveness should be extended; people could change for the better.

She hated how many times they had been wrong. There were so many people they encountered who let evil and a quest for power cloud their senses. People like Matt, Peter, Donovan, and more didn't want forgiveness. They didn't wish to change.

Sierra hated the cycle. She wanted it to end.

But with Gerard on the hunt again, a certain bitterness crept back into the true empath.

In sophomore year, she remembered how Gerard tried to save himself from cancer. Having used Jackson's kanima side as a ploy, the hunter manipulated Allison and tried to kill Derek and anyone else who got in his way.

Gerard was like the others, and Sierra continued thinking about who he might take away from her if they didn't stop him in time.

Running usually worked to clear her head, but since her nightmares usually involved the sport, she opted for a different strategy.

While Scott talked to Argent about the possibility of meeting Gerard face-to-face, Liam stayed with Brett and Lori at the clinic with Deaton, waiting for the beta werewolf to wake up.

Stiles said he would work with Malia and Lydia to update Isaac on everything that had happened since he left Beacon Hills. Figuring it wasn't healthy for Sierra to relive her trauma and knowing Derek, Jemma, and Talia were safe with his dad, Stiles encouraged his girlfriend to enjoy some introvert time.

At first, she argued with him but realized it was a good idea, especially after she visited her old bosses, Edith and Joe, at the ice cream parlor. Telling them about D.C. while enjoying some earl grey tea had been an excellent way to start a Sunday morning.

Then, already in workout clothes, Sierra traveled to the boxing gym downtown.

Chatting with the owner, Rick, felt refreshing, and the feeling only continued once she started exercising. By that hour, most of the people in Beacon Hills were still sleeping in or at church, so there was plenty of space and a lack of bystanders to judge the curse words slipping through her mouth with every swing or kick she let out.

The music playing through her earbuds faded the longer she took her frustration out, her nightmares growing stronger.

Her wrapped fist collided with the punching bag, a snapshot of the dead hellhound flashing before her eyes. Another kick brought the dread doctors' clicks; a hook had the rumbling stampede of the ghost riders' horses echo through her ears.

Her body moved in a rhythm, sweat forming along her hairline.

"We let it out," her brain spun like a broken record, replaying the moment they realized what their previous actions had done. "We let it out."

Sierra was so lost in thought that she barely felt the tap on her shoulder. Yet, it made her whirl around, fist raised and ready to attack anyone who stepped too close.

A frightened Liam immediately lifted his arms in surrender. "It's just me!" he shouted, eyes widened. "It's just me."

Sierra glared at her beta as she yanked her earbuds out from her ears. "Are you crazy?" she demanded. "I've told you never to sneak up on people when working out— especially me!"