Chapter 2

"Damara! Behind you!" Coen yelled amongst the chaos.

I turned around and a boulder headed my way. Before I could even summon my magic, lightning struck from the sky directly at the huge rock, shattering it to dust. A few feet from me, Jericho stood with his hand outstretched. He spared a glance my way, "You're welcome."

"Thanks, Echo," I muttered before we ran in different directions.

"Open your eyes, Damara, and focus!" Master Frost scolded from atop the fighting pit.

My entire class, all around me, fought their own battles as our masters conjured more enemy creatures. Without moving an inch, Master Frost created more of his creatures, eyeless and shaped like deformed snowmen made out of clear ice. On the other side of the fighting pit, Master Aurora summoned monsters of pure earth and rock. Her fingers moved gracefully, and with every flick of her hand, more and bigger monsters rose from the soil.

The goal for today's class was to pull out the golden sword that stuck out of the ground in the middle of the fighting pit. You'd think that we were being taught about teamwork, but it was every fighter for himself today.

"Cassia, Hadley's near the sword-" Coen didn't get to finish.

"Got it!" Cassia turned around and stomped with great might. The ground quaked and the wave from her foot broke the earth and threw off Hadley her path.

Hadley glared at my sister from where she lay on the ground. "You're dead, Chosen One." A huge ice shard formed around her arm like a blade. She had a new goal now, which was to inflict as much pain as she could on Cassia.

I focused on my surroundings this time, my sister could handle herself. No doubt Coen also has an eye on her.

Right in front of me, Master Frost conjured more icemen. Their eyeless faces stared at me, fingers pure ice shards. They made a noise that sounded like a growl, and together, they started to approach me.

With no time to think about my strategy, I summoned the power within me. It flowed from my core to my arms, and finally to my hands where the water came out of my wrists. I kept my eyes on the enemies running at me while I shaped the water into daggers. My hands grab the hilt, feeling solid although I could it flowing under my touch.

And with a quick tilt of my head, the water daggers turned into solid ice.

"Need any help?" Echo appeared again, his back against mine.

I smirked, "You know I don't."

"Yeah, well," He spared me a glance, "I can't let you have all the fun."

Echo winked, and I could have sworn there was literally a tiny spark in his black and lightning blue eyes. We returned our focus to our targets who were all circling us. Behind me, I could feel Echo's energy being channeled.

"Can't you manipulate them? Turn them to water or something?" Echo asked.

"I can't change them if they're alive."

"They're not exactly alive, Damara." Echo generated one of his lightning bolts in his hand.

"They're not exactly inanimate either," I said. "Master Frost has them under his control."

Echo shrugged behind me. "Oh well. More fun for us." And in my mind, I agreed.

My daggers went flying.

I threw one at the nearest creature and went through its head before I could even blink and it went lifeless. Another dagger flew and hit the one beside it, crushed ice bursting everywhere.