Chapter 9

Tornado had been standing guard of the Sage's room for a few hours now, he yawned and spun the spear around in his talon. All he heard was the sound of silence and the quiet muffled wind from outside the safety dome. He sighed and scratched the floor with his talon. Suddenly there was a whirring sound and Tornado watched as the dome opened up just slightly and four dragons flew onto the landing platform just outside. It was Bolt, Sterling, Cyclone, and-

His Mother. Tornado couldn't help but grin, his mother was alive.

Cloudy limped towards Tornado and he grinned as she nodded in his direction. But she kept walking.

To the Sage's room.

"Uh Mother? What are you doing?" he asked her curiously, she growled and opened the door, walked in, and shut it behind her.

"Mother?" he whined. He rolled his eyes and shuffled his feet a little closer to the door so he could hear.

"Good Afternoon, Great Sage" said Cloudy

Sage Mercury replied "Good Afternoon" he said calmly.

Oh good. She caught him in a decent mood thought Tornado in relief.

"Great Sage, please forgive my intrusion" apologized Cloudy "But I have a few questions to ask".

"Go on" urged the Sage

"I was caught in the storm without any notice and I got severely wounded, I want to ask why didn't anyone warn me before the storm hit?" Cloudy asked.

Mercury growled "we have our reasons"

Cloudy growled back "with all due respect, Great Sage, why wasn't I warned beforehand?"

The Sage finally lost his temper "WE HAVE OUR REASONS, AND YOU MUST OBEY THAT ORDER TO NOT QUESTION ME ANY FURTHER!" he roared.

Why is the Sage so short-tempered lately? Wondered Tornado.

Cloudy fell silent for a second then growled.

Oh no Mother don't make the Sage even more angry thought Tornado

as she continued to argue with the Sage.

"I WANT ANSWERS! I DO NOT HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WAIT" Cloudy yelled. "I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED"

Sage Mercury lashed back "IT'D BE DOING US A FAVOR!"

Cloudy went quiet and Tornado clamped his snout shut before he gasped.

"We find that you have now lost your purpose serving me" he said more calmly, with a smooth voice. "We have what we need from you, so now you are worthless to me. Your death wouldn't even be an inconvenience to us"

Tornado felt tears threaten to flood his eyes, but he blinked them away before the other guards would notice anything.

"We have the Hybrid's blood, the weapons you sent us, and the information we need to overthrow the other tribes. To get our revenge." said the Sage.

Revenge? Tornado questioned. Why do we need revenge?

The Sage continued "now we use the tracker that was placed on the Hybrid, find her and use her to help get what we want, and all the while I will be here waiting"

"Waiting for what Great Sage?" Cloudy said with a shaky voice.

"Your return of course" he said with his silky smooth voice

"My- my return?" asked Cloudy.

"I need you to find the Hybrid and return her to me, then you will have served your purpose without having to die" he said "And just maybe-"

Tornado's heart jumped in fear.

"You and your son will get promoted, and your safety will be guaranteed inside the safety dome. Instead of scrounging around in that storm." Tornado could almost hear the sly smile in the Sage's voice as he spoke.

"Do we have a deal?" he purred.

There was a long moment of silence, Tornado's pounding heartbeat echoed through his ears.

"Yes, Great Sage," replied Cloudy.

Tornado heard footsteps exiting the room and he quickly jumped forward, back into his Guard position. His mother stormed out of the room with a furious and determined look on her snout, "Mother? Mother, where are you going?" Tornado chased after his mother as she sped down the stairwell. "Mother! You need to go to the medwing!" he yelled after her, "Mother!" Tornado demanded. Cloudy whipped around to face him and growled "shut up." she turned and ran down the long staircase. Tornado kept running after her, "Mother you can't go back into the storm like that!" he yelled. She turned to face him again, "I don't want to hear your whining right now!" she hissed "I have a job to do and I don't have time for your yapping! Go back to your post and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS FOR ONCE IN YOUR NOSY LITTLE LIFE!" she didn't even look at his expression as she quickly flew off the platform and took to the sky.

Nosy he thought that's all I am.