Who'da Think, Runes'a Did It!

Hogwarts

Pomona made the quick journey toward the room they left Hastume in last night to collect her for breakfast before heading to the alley. The staff had met for a little while longer that night and Minerva and Albus had deemed it a good idea for both her and Severus to accompany the new student to get their supplies. She was rather looking forward to their outing, the girl just has an aura to her that makes Pomona sure this year will be interesting. Oh how she hopes she gets her in her house.

She only has to wait a moment after knocking before the door is thrown open wide to the sight of a smiling, manic looking Mei who lunges forward, grabbing Pomona arm and pulling her into the room. The first thing she noticed was there were books everywhere. How did she even get them? They hadn't yet given her a tour or showed her the library.

"Where did you get all these?" she asked gesturing to the stacks of books on... she squints, runes?

Mei, buzzing with energy responds, "I just asked the castle every time I got stuck on my baby and it sent a new book! Look, I finished it!" With that, she shoves a digital display screen in Ms. Sprout's face. Not sure what she was looking at (never having seen technology before), Pomona was still reeling that the school transported her books when she asked. Another quick glance confirmed there were in fact titles from the restricted section in the pile. A chill ran down her spine when she suddenly remembered the interest the Twins showed her the night before. There's no way they won't figure this out.

Coming back to herself, "what is this.. Exactly?" While it kinda resembled a Tempus with the date and time shown, it also had a picture in the background of a strange-looking group of teenagers in front of a big H-shaped building. That and it was being held in her hand so she doesn't think it's magic

"My phone! I was able to connect to a satellite and got access to this version of the internet. The Non-magicals here have done a lot in tech and medical advancements even compared to my reality! It's still of course not as refined or advanced as back home but the IDEASSS. Like did you know they created a device that pumps CO2 into the ground, speeding up the natural process of turning it into rocks and possibly creating NET Zero carbon emissions from factories at the same time?? That's so useful" *

Pomona did not. In fact most of that went right over her head. Satellites and the internet? Not deterred by the look of confusion due to it being commonplace wherever she goes, Mei continued. "I could not handle the idea that tech wasn't usable around strong magical locations. I haven't been around it long but I know an energy source when I see one. The waves are much more powerful than the typical power sources of non-magical and it acts a bit like nuclear energy, where it permeates everything it flows across, which is part of why you can't use non-magical technology with how it's currently built!"

Spinning around and walking towards one of the open books on the table, Mei sets her 'phone' display down and points to a rune sequence carved into the lower bottom left corner of the shiny metal. "I used a combination of these runes to create a force field like shield that encompases the structure the runes are carved onto, as well as whatever is housed in the structures internals. This rune here is typically put on houses to keep the wards regulated to just inside the house or properties. The series of runes I have here acts as a magic sensor, regulators, and block allowing it to sense the amount of ambient magic in the air, regulate the amount that would damage the components, and then block the excessive amount from permeating the structure!!

"I had to beef up the capacitors quite a bit so the device wasn't so finicky, and it is still running off its own battery with no way to charge it yet. The stress of the magical energy around it runs the battery down faster too, so I think tonight I'll try to create an additional box with a rune sequence to trap magical energy to make a renewable battery source. What do you think?" She turns to Pomona, who, while totally completely bewildered, also looked very intrigued.