008|

Dustin and Riley both pushed their bikes into the rack outside school looking around confused when they saw none of their friends. Riley grabbed Dustin's arm pulling him after her when she heard Mike's voice yelling about something from around the side of school.

"This is so disgusting. Is this really necessary." Max asked from where her and Mike stood by the school's rubbish bin.

"What the hell is going on here?" Dustin questioned as he and Riley came round the corner.

"What do you think." Mike said like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "We're looking for Dart."

"Jesus!" Dustin yelled taking a step backwards, pulling Riley with him as two large bags of rubbish landed exactly where they were standing only seconds ago. Riley groaned covering her nose as she watched Lucas jump out the rubbish bin.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up. After I drew the short straw. Real convenient." Lucas remarked looking between Dustin and Riley.

"You stink!" Max commented moving to stand beside's Dustin who looked away from Riley turning his whole attention to Max. Riley sighed annoyed moving away from the two to stand next to Mike. 

"Where's Will?" Riley whispered in the slightly taller boys ear.

"He'll be here." Mike reassured glancing her up and down before his eyes landed on her slightly bruised wrist, finding what he was looking for. Dustin had called up on the Supercom before she got there last night to let them know she'd be staying with him.

He threw his arm over her shoulder leaning down so he was at her height, neither of them noticing the annoyed look Dustin threw his way as he did this, "Hey, is your wrist okay?" He whispered so none of the others could hear.

"Yeah. Well I mean no. But it doesn't hurt anymore." She smiled up at the worried boy who still didn't believe her, "Mike, i'm fine."

Riley sat next to Dustin on the steps to the school, it was lunch time and Mike had been trying to get in contact with the Byers to see if Will was okay. 

He re-joined the group after getting no response, "We need to talk. AV room. Right now." The group all stood up as Mike turned to face Max, "Party members only."

"Come on, Mike." Dustin spoke up.

"No! This is non-negotiable." 

Riley smiled apologetically at Max before following Mike through the halls of the school.

"Will didn't want us to tell anyone," Mike started pointing between him and Riley, "but on Halloween night he saw a sort of shadow in the sky."

"A shadow?" Lucas asked looking between the two, "What kind of shadow."

"We don't know, "Riley pushed her back glasses up her nose, "But it scared him. A lot. And if Will really has true sight like we thought, and he can rally see into the Upside Down, maybe he saw that shadow again yesterday."

"So that's why he was frozen like that?" Dustin questioned.

"Maybe."

"Can it hurt him?" It was Lucas's turn to ask again, "I mean if this shadow thing isn't from our world..."

"I'm not sure. Dustin?" Mike asked looking towards him.

"Well, if your in another plane, you can't interact with the material plane, so theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him." Dustin explained.

"Yeah, if that's even what's happening." Mike sighed, "This isn't D&D. This is real life."

"So what do we do?"

"We acquire more knowledge." Mike spoke, "Me and Riley will go to Will's house after school. See what's going on. You guys stay here and find Dart."

"Dart?" Dustin asked sitting up straight, "What's he gotta do with this?"

"Will heard him in the Upside Down." Mike explained, "I don't know how yet, but he's gotta be connected to all this. He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

"Hello?" Mike yelled as he slammed his fist against the door, "Will! Mrs Byers?" The door unlocked revealing Joyce, "Hey."

"Hey Mike. Hi Riley."

"Is Will here." Riley got to the point needing to know what was happening with her friend.

"You know what?" Joyce sighed, "Now is not a really good time."

"Is he okay?" Mike cut in as Joyce walked out the door closing it behind her.

"Yeah. You know, he's... he's just not feeling real well." She explained holding her hand on Mike and Riley' back leading them away from her house, "He's lying down, so i'll tell him you two stopped by, okay?"

"It's about the shadow monster, isn't it?" Riley said catching Joyce's attention just as she was about to head back inside.