~ 16 ~

"It always creeped me out when you did that thing with your face," said Dottore.

"What thing?"

"Where your face just falls and you look at everyone like they're insignificant ants in the grand scheme of life. You used to look at me that way when we first met,you know and I found it hard to know anything you were thinking," he explained.

"Oh," I laughed. "It sort of became a reflex after working as a spy. A colleague of mine taught me never to betray my emotions at any cost and ever since I just put up a wall to protect myself all the time. If you couldn't tell what I was thinking then it works efficiently."

Dottore nodded with understanding before gesturing to ready myself to turn the corner. We stood tall, my hand resting on the gun at my side. Together, we rounded the building and approached a house at the end where two men dressed in full black mercenary outfits guarded the enterance to what appeared to be just a simple house. They tensed at noticing us, taking an intimidating step forward.

Dottore pulled something out of his sleeve and waved it in their direction to which the two guards peeked at each other before shrugging. The slip of paper Dottore held was a ticket of sort that we purposefully forged to allow us a quick enterance into the illegal market which I presumed was akin to an underground city beneath this house.

The Harbinger handed the ticket over allowing the first guard to verify it. The second guard studied us before losing interest and leaning back to flick a coin up and down.

"Welcome. Take the basement stairs down; a torch will be readily lit for you," stated the guard boredly before allowing us through.

That was easy enough.

We nodded and made our way through the house which was completely furnished with beautiful decor that resembled a real home. A complete lie of course. This house was just a cover up for the many illegal and illicit activities taking place out of sight.

The basement steps were steep and dark. Once the door to them was opened, loud sounds echoed around from beneath and bounced around the walls wildly. The torch was waiting for us as promised and we wasted no time descending the steps.

I could hardly see in front of me, occasionally stumbling on a chipped stone step or tripping from missing an entire step. Dottore held my arm cautiously to avoid any fatal falls.

After what felt like forever, we reached the bottom of the steps and the torch was no longer necessary.

It was true. There really was a whole alternative city down here and whilst the sounds and smells were similar, the view was certainly different.

The people here were dressed entirely different; most were decked out in razor sharp, blood curdling weapons including axes, scimitars, scythes and I even saw a chainsaw at one point. They all had permanent scowls on their faces and many were masked while others were dressed in skimpy clothing. Scars, tattoos, piercings and bandages were common.

We passed by multiple brothels and drug dealers. The scent of alcohol and metallic blood intoxicated the air, making me grimace. People eyed us as we walked past but no one approached thankfully. It seems our disguises were working in our favour. On more than one occasion, Eremites littered around the area nodded at us, acknowledging us as their people. This was basically a breeding ground for mercenaries and spies.

The auction was supposedly going to be held in an arena location down here where among weapons and artifacts, slaves would also be sold. The people down here were not afraid to participate in unethical activities. That had nothing to do with me however, so I chose not to think about it. There was no time for feeling sympathy for the peasants being sold like cattle down here.