Chapter Eleven: Betrayal

Chapter Eleven

Betrayal

***

Cleo POV

"Before we start," Denman started, her stare unsettling. "I need to know for sure."

Denman reached her hand over and nudged her glass of water over with a lot of force. It landed on its side, water spraying my hands as well as hitting my lunch.

"Oh! I am so sorry!"

I watched in awe as she began to snatch up her napkins and dab the tablecloth. She, as expected took my own napkins, leaving me with nothing to dry my hands. I smiled innocently at Denman, almost laughing at her expression. She stared at my wet hands then, as if satisfied, acted as if the incident never happened.

"So. What is it that you do?"

I raised an eyebrow at her. "You called me. And I'm pretty positive it wasn't because you were curious about my work."

Dr. Denman sighed, staring down at her untouched food.

"Alright. Cleo, I have questions."

"So do I," I interrupted, trying hard to keep as little emotion visible on my face. "If I answer your questions, I expect you to do something for me."

Denman opened and closed her mouth, debating. She stared at me, smirking as she sipped her drink. "You have a deal."

I leaned back in my seat, satisfied. Denman bit her lip and sighed. "Powers over water?"

I frowned, a little amused. "You don't know what it is I want yet."

Denman was quick to answer, giving me a cold stare. "You, Emma and Rikki were my greatest work. I had questions. Then you made things difficult and the questions had to remain a mystery. That was about... nine years ago. Let's just say, I want these answers. I don't care what stands in my way."

A chill travelled down my spine but I stared back at her.

"Fine with me." I reply smoothly, picking the crust off of my sandwich, a habit I had. "I had the power to... manipulate water. I could mould it into any shape as well as change the amount of water."

Denman rushed to pull her notebook from her bag and reach back in for a pen. I eyed her as she opened it to scribble in.

Sighing, she saw my look. "I can't miss anything. I would have recorded our meeting but you would be convinced I would use it as proof that mermaids exist. I'm sure?"

With a nod, I continue. "There were hand gestures with each power. Mind was a twist of my hand. I could also control wind."

Denman looked up from her notes.

"Uh..." I froze and mentally slapped myself. "We were just getting used to our new powers over weather when you arrived. They were to dangerous to use. That's probably why you never saw us use them." I lied, swallowing a lump in my throat. As Denman went back to writing I closed my eyes.

"Emma..."

Guilt spread through me as I imagined Emma after finding out about me spilling my guts to the enemy. Taking a deep breath, I push the thoughts away.

"Emma could freeze anything containing water. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure if her power grew so she could freeze anything, but I think they did. She had the power to create snow."

"And her hand gesture?" Denman used my own hand gesture as an example.

"Oh, uh, it was a flat palm... Rikki could heat and boil water which then turned into the control over fire, thunder and lightning. Her hand gesture was clenching her hand into a fist."

Denman nodded, jotting down notes at a surprising speed. She looked up and raised an eyebrow.

"So... How did you become mermaids?"

The next few chapter are probably going to be about Cleo and Denman again. What is it Cleo wants that would make her spill everything? Hope you enjoyed! Please comment!