Chapter one

Once the coast was clear, Becky hurried over to where Marie was picking up the Lincoln Logs. "Tanya called me this morning," she said, keeping her voice low so none of the other mommies could hear.

"Her Nate got a call yesterday to fix an air conditioner at Louise Pierson's place. He said she's just as neat as a pin. Nothing out of place, not even in the baby's room. He said she's got one of those leather couches they were selling at The Junction last summer. You know, the leather seconds? And she's got a ton of books lining the walls in the living room."

Marie dumped an armload of pieces into the big cardboard box. "Did he see her room?"

Becky nodded. "Double bed. Dresser. An armoire he swears used to belong to Ann Keating before her husband died."

"I remember that. She had that garage sale. I picked up her old stand mixer. It still works. I made up a batch of butter cookies for the church bazaar just last month."

"Oh, yeah. They were scrumptious. But here's the thing," Becky continued. "Nate said she didn't have any pictures except two of baby Shaun. Nothing on the mantel, nothing in the bathroom. It's like the woman has no past. Like she came here from outer space or something."

"My John, he says she never talks about herself at work. He says she reads on break or she writes in that journal of hers. Lisa asked her straight out where Shaun's daddy was and she wouldn't say. She said she didn't like to talk about it. If you want my opinion, I'm thinking he was bad news, you know? Hit her, probably. Like Bonnie's husband?"

"That, or she doesn't know who the daddy is." Becky bent down to pick up a Barbie doll. " She has that sadness about her. So pretty and yet, I don't know. . . "

"Yeah," Marie said. "Like she's running from something."

"Heck, why else would a single women move to Milford? She has no family here."

"I remember the day she got here. She was driving that beat-up old Chevy."

"Still is."

"Right."

"How long has it been?"

"Got to be two years."

Becky nodded. "Two years and we still don't know beans about her."

"Not that she isn't nice."

Becky shook her head, a stand of auburn hair loosening from under her headband. "Nice as can be for someone with so many secrets. Megan, you put that down right now."

Marie glanced over at Megan, Becky's three-year-old who'd gotten hold of the watercolor paint set. Marie's son, Liam, had been born two weeks to the day of Megan's birth, sealing their already solid friendship. " I surely would like to know what happened to that girl."

"Me, too." Becky shook her head. "Maybe I'll do a little research at the library, now that they've got the Internet."

"Oh, good idea. Why don't we go tomorrow?"

"Can't. I have a doctor's appointment."

"How about Friday?"

"Friday. Okay. We'll take the kids."

LOUISE PIERSON walked down Hill Street towards the market, her young son holding her hand, scurrying on his short legs to keep up. Louise let him step on the mat in front of the grocery store so that the automatic doors would open. He liked that.

Inside, Gary, the butcher, waved. "Getting ready to close shop here. You gonna need anything? I could cut it fresh for you."

"No, thanks," Louise told him. "Just grabbing a few things."

"Okay. Next time."

"Next time." She put Shaun in the cart seat and headed down the aisle. Canned corn, tomato soup, bread, milk, butter. She picked through the skimpy produce selection, finally choosing a reasonably fresh head of lettuce and some broccoli. She chose a pre-wrapped pound of hamburger and on her way to the register, added a package of spaghetti. Shaun loved spaghetti.

"How are you this evening, Louise?"

"Fine, Marge. You?" Louise lifted her boy from the cart while Marge toted up the groceries and placed them on the belt.

"I'm good, thanks."

Louise could see the older woman wanted to talk, but it was late and all she wanted was to get home.

"Could you toss in a book of stamps, please?"

"Sure, Louise. Sure."

"Thanks." Louise smiled, then turned her attention to Shaun pulling on her arm. "Hang tight, soldier. We'll be done here soon."

Shaun tugged harder. "I'm hungry."

"I know, baby. Soon."

"That's twelve twenty-five," Marge said.

Louise paid in cash, as always.

"Wait a second."

Grabbing her bags, Louise looked back at the checker.

Marge leaned over the counter, holding a red lollipop down to Shaun. "It's okay, isn't it, Louise?"

"Of course. What do you say, Shaun?"

"Thank you."

"Well, you're welcome, honey."

"Thanks, again," Louise said, ushering Shaun toward the door. Louise felt her shoulders relax the moment they were outside.

Shaun chattered the whole way home, which wasn't very far. After she parked, she took him out of his car seat and handed him the can of tomato soup. He hurried toward their front door, proud to be helping with the groceries. She watched him run up the short path, his dark hair flopping around his ears, his jeans just like the big kids wore. She loved him so much it ached.

Louise had been looking forward to making a nice meal for the two of them. Not that she didn't cook everyday, but she had Friday and Saturday off from her waitressing job at the Hong Kong Cafe. That meant she could spend some extra time on dinner, make chocolate pudding for dessert. After, they'd watch a movie, probably My Neighbor Totoro, Shaun's new favourite. After Shaun went to bed, she intended to soak in a hot bath. Scented candles, lavender bath salts and a new novel. Heaven.

"Mommy, come on!"

"Hold your horses," she said, grabbing the bag of groceries from the trunk of her old Chevy. "I'm coming."

By the time she got to the door, Shaun had forgotten the can of soup, left squarely in the centre of the doormat and had turned his attention to the wind chimes hanging from a small branch of the elm tree that shaded the front of the house. He couldn't quite reach the silver tubes, but he was growing so fast, it wouldn't be a problem for long.