13 Bearing My Soul

I hadn't told my mother about Alexander's offer to move to the London manor house with him. Nor did I inform her of my acceptance of it. I was going to, of course. I had every intention to discuss it with her prior to my actual move but I already knew it was going to be an argument that she would likely blow out of proportion so I was putting it off for as long as I could. In the meantime, I was packing. That could not be avoided.

Apparently, however, the two were one in the same because she found me packing one evening two days later and demanded to know where I thought I was going.

"Alexander asked me to live in the manor house with him," I told her with a shrug, as casually as I could while I continued to pack away my dresses in a suitcase sitting on my bed. "I thought it would be good for me to be closer to the city and he's going to need help running the house while he's conducting his business so—"

"So the two of have been conspiring to leave me then," she interrupted, crossing her arms and jutting her chin out in the way she always did when she was preparing for an argument. I paused in my packing to turn to her with a sigh.

"Mother, I'm old enough now to be out on my own," I reminded her. "Not that I will be. It's just Alexander that I'm living with. It's a perfectly acceptable arrangement. He needs someone to manage the affairs of the household until he can find a wife. I'll need to be closer to the city for the next season."

"You do not," she snapped. "Elena, you haven't even debuted."

"I'm well aware, mother, thanks to you."

She huffed, placing her hands on her hips and glaring at me.

"You will be perfectly fine debuting from here, rather than the city. It is proper for a mother to be near her daughter during her first season to help guide her and—"

"We will attend all of the events together, mother. I will even come here to get ready for them if you wish. But Alexander—"

"Why are you doing this?" She cried, stamping her foot like a petulant child. The sudden shift stunned me so greatly that I could only stare at her in blatant shock. "You are my only daughter. I've one more year with you before you become the highlight of the season and are married off to some man who will take you away forever."

"Mother, I—"

"You aren't going anywhere, Elena. I forbid it."

I blinked at her.

"You forbid it?" I asked but she didn't get the opportunity to answer. At that moment, one of the maids entered with a letter in hand. I expected her to hand it to my mother. She was always receiving correspondences from her various friends and informants. But this time, the maid bypassed my mother and headed straight for me. I took the envelope from her hands, brows furrowed in confusion, and set the dress in my hands down. Without looking at the front, I tore it open, heart hammering in my chest. It was from Anne, I just knew it. It had to be.

Elena,

I'll never be able to apologize enough for this but our plans to move into the London manor together must be put on hold. Father is sending me out of the country on some urgent business and I don't know when I will be returning from America. I am certain father will tell you more this evening. I know you were excited to move to the city and get away for a while. I am so sorry that I've had to go back on my word. When I return, there will be a place in the manor that is always yours should you still wish to take it.

With love,
Alexander

My heart fell as I read the words on the page. My mother noticed. Taking a step closer, she peered over my shoulder. I just stood there, staring down at the hastily written letter, until my mother tsked and left the room, slamming the door shut behind her.