Midnight Coffee Race

Cara

Somewhere in the background a song by 'Three Days Grace' is playing. The lead singer is screaming "RIOT" as Cara James grabs the ratchet she is using to tighten a stubborn socket into place. She's humming along to the lyrics, the flashlight stuck in her mouth making it hard to understand what she's saying but she doesn't care. 

Especially on Friday nights when she gets to be out however long she wants as she races in her black 1993 Nissan. It's a sight to behold with its bright blue lights that line the bottom of her baby. The rims which were once black painted a dark purple. 

Once Cara is done tightening the last socket that holds the starter in place, she unhooks the hood strut and slams the piece of metal down. She tries to as hard and gently as she can because the fucking beauty of a vehicle is as old as dirt. 

The grandma of a gift was from her father, given to her just before he was busted for selling hardcore drugs. He's been in prison ever since. Her mother was lucky enough to escape before the cops could cuff her too.

Her favorite factory default ringtone starts to ring in the back of her jeans. With a sigh, she takes the light out of her mouth, turns off her music, and pulls out her black -filled with more scratches than a old child's movie disc- flip phone. A toothy grin spreads on her face when she recognizes the caller ID

"Hange!" Cara bellows into the mic when she flips it open with a snap.

"Fireheart!" They scream back "Are you gonna be out there tonight? I know Erwin is, with seaside, they might try and recruit you again." 

The mention of his name makes her want to drive into a brick wall. She doesn't bother saying that out loud though.

"I'm definitely going, but I'm not joining his scurvy crew of clams." A fit of cackling comes over the receiver. 

"Great I have someone I want you to meet," that makes her stomach drop. They always had someone they wanted Cara to meet or go out with. And after what happened with her and Erwin she's not ready for a new relationship. 

"Hange I don't thi-"

"You don't have to talk to him!" They interrupted "he's an ass anyways, just give him a look! Please it's either him or me tonight sooo" 

Cara gags at the concept of her and them together. In bed. 

"Ya, that's what I thought," they say over a voice that tells her to hurry the hell up. She can't pinpoint who it is but guesses it's the guy she'll be meeting. "Look I got to go, I'll meet you there ya?"

"Mhm sure," she says as she walks to the blue tarp that's laying at the back of the car. 

Once Cara hears the click of the line going dead she puts her phone away and picks up the tarp before throwing it over her black beauty. Because the trashy trailer park she calls home has nosy fucks that like nothing but shiny shit that they can sell for a bag of dust. Now that her only prize possession is hidden from the world. She walks into her tanned colored, single wide to wash off the black oil that still covers her hands.

Afterward, Cara tiptoes to her mother who is laying on the couch probably dead. She bends down and places two fingers on the unconscious woman's neck to make sure a heartbeat is still there. One is and Cara sighs in relief. 

Sex on fire by Kings of Leon is blearing through Cara's bass speakers when she pulls into the designated parking lot. It's packed with other sports cars with great paint jobs and neon lights. She turns her radio off and rolls down both driver and passenger side windows and scopes out who is all here for the show. 

Cara slowly Cruzes by other parked cars that shout and cheer when they recognize the anime stickers that deck out the sides of her car. most of them being Tokyo ghouls. She parks her beauty next to a bright pink honda Civic that has its trunk open. A huge speaker in the back is playing an OG Chris brown song. 

She steps out and immediately spots the Seaside crew, they are a little ways to her left. From the looks of it, the whole group is there with their leader Erwin smith or better known at these events as The Commander. Her stomach drops when she spies the tuffs of blond hair. Before he catches her gaze she looks away to try and find Hange, who should be here by now. 

Just a little bit longer, then she'll get paid and she can leave all those clam fucks in the dust. 

___

Levi

Levi stood next to a cheering Hange. They jumped with glee next to their motorcycle which barely had enough room for the both of them. The street that they are on is illegally closed, and two cars are waiting at the end of the street. 

One is a neon orange Mazda RX7, the driver was showing off by revving their engines. The other car was a slick black Nissan with what looked like stickers on it. 

"There! The Nissan!" Hange frantically pointed to the car Levi already had his eyes on. "And that hot piece of dessert is Fireheart"  

A woman waltzes to the car and the first thing Levi notices is the wild red hair that is tamed with a braid. Then it was her height, even from here he could see that she was easily over 5'8. 

Then shit for brains is grabbing his hand and dragging him along as they sprint towards her. All the while screaming her name. 

Fireheart turns to them and meets them halfway. Her cheeks are bunched up over the mask she has on, so Levi only assumes she has a grin underneath it. He yanks his hand out of their grip when they go in for a hug. Now up close he can make out green eyes and freckles that dance across her cheekbones. 

"Did you see the fucker I'm racing against?" She says as she lets go of hange, her eyes briefly scanning over Levi.

Levi doesn't know what the hell she's talking about but doesn't say anything because he doesn't want to seem like a fool. Her shirt is open, exposing her soft but toned abs.  

Fuck she's ripped! He forces his eyes away before anyone can catch him 

"I could recognize that Mazda anywhere," they say. A look of uncertainty washes across their face before they turn back to Levi "thi- this is my good friend I was talking about"

Her eyes land on Levi's and for a moment he forgets how to speak. It's because of the intensity that her eyes glow with, he wants to tell himself. Or the secrets that they are hiding. 

"Does he speak" Fireheart huffs out a small chuckle when he doesn't say anything "does he at least have a name"

A wave of frustration flows over him. Any thoughts of her attractiveness were wiped from his mind. He glares at her. 

"It's Levi" he snaps.

Her thin ginger eyebrows lifted into her hairline, her eyes alight with fire. "You weren't kidding about the asshole part" she chuckles before turning around, a little strut in her steps as she waved bye to them "wish me luck ya? I'm gonna need it!"

From the angle, he couldn't see who the other racer was. He didn't care either, his eyes never leaving the black car as Fireheart jumped in. Then a woman in very tight pants waltzed in-between the cars, a frilly pom pom in her hand. When she stopped just a few feet In Front of the racers, they started their cars. 

Hange was again bouncing up and down in excitement, Even as a crowd formed they were the loudest, shouting encouragement to fireheart who had her window down. Levi swore he felt her eyes on him, but from this far away he couldn't be sure. 

Pom Pom lady is what Levi names the woman, he watched with bated breath as she lifted her hand in the air and started to count down from three. The roar of the crowd grew louder when she hit zero and the cars took off. The ground shook underneath him as they zoomed past, fireheart in the lead. He knew from the way his neck whipped to the side to watch them drive by, that he would be sore tomorrow.

The racers were almost to the finish line when the orange Mazda's rear, right wheel hit the curb. The screech of its breaks was almost loud enough to make Levi's ears ring. He cured under his breath when the vehicle flipped, landing right on a powerline.