It's The drugs

The moon was setting, the birds were waking when Cara limped into the bathroom. It was freezing and when she went to flip the switch to turn the light on she was met with nothing but darkness. The owner of the park must have taken the electricity. She hadn't made enough money tonight to get it back on for tomorrow. With a pained groan, she dragged herself back to her room, which was in the back of the trailer. The tips of her fingernails grazed the wall, carefully so she wouldn't scrape the still healing blisters on the old wood.

It had been over a week since the events of last Friday. Hange was still pissed at her but miche was fine and only suffered smoke inhalation and a small concussion. Cara hasn't talked to Levi since that wreck of a night as well. But she had seen him at school, stuck to hanges side at lunch, running in the field during gym or even a small glimpse in the hall between classes. It was like she was being followed by a ghost.

The slowly rising sun seeped through Cara's white blinds, giving the room a little bit of light for her to know her way around. she wasn't in here much, she usually only slept or changed her clothes. If she got injured on a job she would go to hanges to avoid suspension from her mother, but since they were still glaring and biting at her, Cara decided to lick her wounds in private. Her hand was almost to perfect health, the bubble not as big as it was the first night when she debated going to the hospital or not. but dear god the ache on her side was going to probably need some actual attention from the way it throbbed.

She slowly took off the once-white tank top now covered in dirt, oil, and blood. hissing as she raised her arms over her head. She had gotten her ass beat in a fight after stealing a brick of coke from a safe inside a mechanic shop somewhere in the back streets of Lakewood. Cara had slammed the attacker's head into a tipped-over wheel well to knock him out. she didn't want to think about it too much, didn't want to think about the odds of him dying.

Cara had dropped off the drug at a location that Erwin picked earlier that week before walking back home.

The bruises on her ribs were turning purple, almost black. and it hurts to breathe. She detangled the rubberband out of her hair and gently placed herself onto her boxspring bed.

__

Levi

"so I've tried looking through the yearbooks from last year and I have three people for you,'' Isabel said as she entered Mrs. Dickson's history classroom.

Levi walked to their assigned seats in the back of their first-period class. after Levi got home Friday night, he realized that he had seen fireheart before. He couldn't shake the feeling so the next morning he called Isabel to see if she could help him find out who she was.

With just a small description and an estimation of age, she was able to narrow it down to a few people that she thought were her. Levi didn't know why he wanted to know who fireheart was, didn't know why he cared so much.

"Who are they?" he asks as he pulls out his history textbook.

Isabel slipped a folded piece of paper onto his desk "I was able to find two of their socials but the last one is like a damn monk I can't find shit about her"

Levi nodded as he opened the piece of paper, reading the names in his head. Alice Caine, Jesica Beck, and Cara James. "But you have her picture?" he asked as the bell rang.

Isabel waits for the teacher to turn her back before pulling out her phone, going to her photos, and putting the device below Levi's textbook.

Her red hair is down, it poofs out with full twirling curls that glow when the light catches it. It frames her diamond-shaped face, freckles lining her cheeks and nose, falling over her face like teardrops. The emerald in her eyes glows through the strands that have fallen over her face. She doesn't smile like she's waiting for the day to end like she's tired.

Levi swallows. It's her, it has to be.

He gives the phone back to Isabel before turning it back to the teacher.

After the bell rang it was lunch and Levi tried to keep to himself in the halls but they were more crowded than ever with students touching him left and right. It was suffocating. It was a sea of limbs and body odor.

Disgusting

Levi couldn't take it, the river current of unwanted touches and dipped into an empty hallway. There is no way he would step foot into a school bathroom, not with all the bacteria. The hall was empty except for the girl. His heart stopped.

She had red hair that covered her face as she leaned against the lockers, an open hardcover book in her hand. He walk closer, looking at the closed classroom doors to act like he was lost when in reality he was stealing glances at her.

First, it was her hands, light-skinned and bruised around the knuckles then it was her arms, covered in a dark grey long sleeve. Her biceps showed through the fabric. And as he aimlessly walked by her, he saw her face without that ridiculous mask. freckles covered her cheekbones and nose. Her upper lip was swollen, one side a deep purple, and her eye had a thick ring of purple and green.

A feeling rushed through him, something in-between anger and worry.

"What happened to your face?"

-Cara

Her heart was racing so hard she thought she was going to pass out. Levi's eyes were sharp as they assessed her. His eyes turned ridged when they locked into her lips. The first thought is that he's seen her face, the second is that he actually recognized her. Even hange couldn't remember her face.

Her mind went blank with the question, her first reaction would be to tell him to mind his own business, but it was like a string was pulling her to tell him the truth. As if he could read through any lie she'd tell him.

"I got into a fight," she wasn't going to go into detail.

"No shit."

"Well, then why would you ask?" Cara snapped back. She didn't know why he cared so much. Hated that he would ask such an obvious question.

Cara slammed her book shut, the sound echoing down the hall. Then whipped her hair to move the bangs that had fallen in front of her face, and turned to leave. Escaping from the situation.

Then he said something that stopped her from stepping away.

"Hange isn't mad at you," She strained her neck to look at him, "they are just worried. They think you're being reckless with your own safety."

Cara faced forward and walked into the busy hallway, leaving Levi without an answer.