prologue.

Ivy Flores was working in the small flower shop at the Starcourt Mall when she first saw Robin Buckley. She was in a rush to make it to work on time and she didn't notice the blonde-haired girl walking in front of her. The two fell on the cold tile floor and Ivy apologized to the mystery girl profusely.

After that day, the two kept running into each other. They sent each other shy smiles whenever one or the other passed in front of their work before they had to hurry and do their job. Robin would never admit it, but she wanted to talk to Ivy more, but she had no idea how to approach her without feeling weird about it.

Ivy was the same. Ever since their first run-in, Ivy had wanted nothing more than to hang out with the blonde. She had contemplated walking into the ice cream parlor where Robin worked but always chickened out at the last second. The brunette would be a couple of steps away from walking in, but any time she saw the number of people there for one of the other employees, her feet would bring her back to the flower shop.

It wasn't until early summer that they finally had enough nerve to talk to each other. Ivy had finally hyped herself up enough to walk into Scoops Ahoy to talk to the girl when a teenage boy with curly brown hair interrupted her, smiling when an employee walked out of the back area. Ivy just about turned back around but Robin called out to her, effectively making her glued to the spot she stood.

The girls became closer, but when they found out about a secret Russian ploy to re-open a gate to a mysterious world, they band together with Steve "The Hair" Harrington, Dustin Henderson, and Erica Sinclair to stop the Russian's evil doings.

In the midst of it all, the two find themselves falling for each other, not acting on it in fear of rejection; scared that the other wasn't into girls. Girls who liked girls were not a common occurrence in Hawkins, Indiana.

Robin tries to convince herself that she didn't like the flower shop employee, but all she can think about is kissing Ivy Flores's stupid lips until they're a pretty shade of crimson.

Ivy tried and failed to convince herself that she didn't like girls, so now all she can think about is how it would feel to hold Robin Buckley in her arms.