the Punishment

I would have considered anyone an asshole had they also used a sick person as a part of their ploy-- in anything- and for me, I was no exception. No one could have frowned on me better than  myself at that moment. 

There she was, the queen mother of Agrabah still, pale and frail, and here I was, concerned about my trivial problems- yet I had to do what I had to do. As I sat in the bedside I grew more restless about the events that could unfold that night. 

"Salam" I heard a soft voice behind me. 

Tall, graceful, and beautiful as the stars and suns would say; a lady stood in the doorway. She adorned graceful emerald neckpiece- outfit threaded with gold and pearl and a long, glorious veil that brushed the floor as she moved ever so slightly. 

I joined my two hands in response, unsure of who I greeted. 

"Pardon me for the disruption. I am Nagma- one of the Begums of the palace. I'd like to welcome you to Agrabah" Her voice was gentle, and her eyes- kind. 

"Pranam, Begum Nagma. It's a delight to meet you" I said, out of courtesy. I feared if she was there to take me elsewhere, however. 

"My apologies, my lady. It's your first day, and it seems we have already troubled you by keeping you here" 

"No-no. No trouble at all. It's no trouble looking after the queen mother" I said as my gaze followed the asleep lady. 

"But. I thought your presence was required in the Emperor's chambers- about roughly 3 hours ago?" She voiced her concern. 

"Oh, that?" I chuckled, "That's all sorted. I am here by choice" I said, vaguely, not wanting to alert her. 

A concerned knit  faded into relief in Begum Nagma's eyebrows on hearing that.

"In that case, let me keep you accompanied Begum" She smiled softly.

***

Begum Nagma spoke of many things over the hours. 

She spoke of her marriage with the Emperor- on how he had married her after her father had died in the war serving for the emperor. She told me how the palace had accumulated 200 begums; almost all of them either being token of gratitude from places where the Emperor had extended friendly relations, or as a prize of winnings from places the Emperor had won through war. Only a few marriages were deemed legitimate, where no political winning had happened of any sort. It revolted me knowing that these ladies were treated no less than mere objects- merely representing the Emperor's land extension achievements . 

"That's the basis of a Royal Begum, and a normal Begum" She finished, "if you were won through war, or as a result of submersion, you'd be considered  a normal Begum- but if you were married based on political exchange, or through love, you'd be a Royal Begum".

"It's bizarre to me" I spoke in shock, "It's bizarre that despite being married with proper rites and rituals, these people have found ways to create divisions in that too. Normal and Royal Begum. What a bizarre concept". 

"It maybe bizarre to you. But that's how these 195 Begums have been living for the past decade. Straddling in the world of division inside their own home" She replied very softly. It seemed like she also didn't resonate with the ways of the Emperor. 

"I don't wish to be a part of this hierarchy" I replied. 

Begum Nagma knitted her eyes in confusion.

"To me, this is nothing more than an extravagant bubble the Emperor has fabricated to serve himself. And I wish not to be a part of it" I said. 

"Don't you worry. With the kind of chaos you create I don't think you'll be a part of this extravagance anymore" A sharp voice boomed from behind us.