*Valentines Day* Special Chapter 4

Without anymore urging, Serene returned to her study to collect her things to join Donya as per her suggestion. As soon as the royal was gone, Donya took a few steps back. Then she spun around, eyelids lowered, seemingly staring into space.

"You can come out now."

With that simple command the air shifted, but the person seemed to hesitate. They stepped out, no longer using the wall to hide their presence.

Out stepped a young man, his short blonde hair groomed professionally into a tight bun. Well ironed, his butler uniform and jacket with white trimming always appeared to be that way, even at the end of the work day.

Lance stood there with his hands behind his back, violet eyes calm as if he hadn't just been caught spying on a noble. A gloved hand covered his mouth as a little cough slipped through. "I'll go and prepare the Young Mistress' drink right away," Lance stated,  his voice refusing to betray whatever thoughts plagued his mind.

Donya gave him a quizzical look before a smile reappeared on her face, though smaller and half the size of the one she had previously.

Lance watched as Donya's hands moved to her hips.

"The love you have for our lady really shows," she jested.

The butler simply responded, "I don't know what you mean. Anyways, I'll be off."

"There is one thing, and you know what it is."

"Nothing? Then goodbye."

“Come on Lance,” she wrapped her arms around his neck, staring straight into the butler’s eyes. “Wouldn’t you rather us, to be the ones having fun? The kind of fun that you’re use to, instead of fantasizing about her every night?”

A soft hand gently removed hers. Lance’s gaze hit the floor, as if he was refusing to meet eye contact. “That was the old me, a much more stupid version. A man who didn’t know what he wanted.” He glanced up. “I still don’t know what I want, but I do know that under my Lady’s rule is where I need to be.”

Bright violet eyes hardened into a glare by the time he finished speaking, in the meantime Donya only smiled, not uttering a word. “As for you, you treat people like toys, and that’s the entire reason we separated in the first place. I would implore you, Miss, to find someone else to play with.”

Nothing else was exchanged between the two and Lance took it as his chance to leave. Donya decided to take her leave as well and check if Serene was ready. However, she couldn’t help but steal one last glance over her shoulders at the place Lance once stood.

“You will never enter her heart, darling,” she muttered with a frown. “And sooner or later you’ll realize it wasn’t meant to be.”

The creaking sounds of a door caught her attention. Donya greeted her friend with her trademark smile.

But, she thought to herself, I feel the same way too.