Chapter 12 - "My Man."

"Yes......" I cried as I nodded my head, and kept my mouth covered. "Of course I will marry you, Melvin."

I held my hand out as he slowly placed the ring onto my ring finger. He smiled and stood up on his feet to greet me with a heart warming hug. His family members clapped around us, making the moment even better. Melvin's grandparents on his mother and fathers side were crying along with his mother and father. This was it. I was officially engaged.

"No!" My father shouted as he seperated me and Melvin both. "I will not let my daughter marry some nigger! It will not happen!"

"That's it. I'm done letting you disrespect my grandson." Melvin's grandfather on his father's side as as he walked up to my dad, and pointed a shotgun at his chest.

"WOAH! Woah Grandpa, relax!" Melvin said in a worried tone as he spazzed and pushed the shotgun down a little. "It's okay! It's alright!"

"Mom, Bernice, Robert.......do you feel this way too?" I snarled as I looked at them.

They didn't say anything. All three of them glanced down at the ground, and kept their mouths shut. At this point, I was completely disgusted. This was enough to anger me to a large extent.

"Just leave. For good.." I said as I gave them foul looks. "I don't want to see any of you again. None of you."

"Come on. Let's leave her here to wallow in disgust." My father said as he grabbed my family, walked off to the car, and sped off.

To be honest, it hurt. I was expecting them to put up a fight, especially my mother. I was expecting them to except Melvin and my decision, but they were still the same racist assholes. They were the same family that I left a month ago. They didn't change at all. They were the exact same. 

Melvin walked behind me, then placed his hand on my shoulder as he looked at me.

"You alright?" Melvin asked in a bummed tone.

"Yeah....." I said as I shook it off, and turned around to my future family to be. "Let's dance!"

For the rest of the day, I did nothing but danced along with Melvin's family. When I was out on that dancefloor, I had no problems. It was almost as if my family hadn't came. I was just a free soul with the man that I wanted to be with, and the family I wanted to be in my life. On the second day, we went swimming at a recreational center, [Since the family rented it out.] and on the third day, we had dinner with Melvin's grandparents at their house that was placed on a barn. They cooked a large dinner and told me all of these stories from when Melvin was a baby. I was enjoying every last minute. When we left, we started looking for dresses for our wedding. We really wanted to wear white for the whole entire thing.

But first, I had to finish up my films that I was finishing before the purposal. My career in the acting field continued to skyrocket and skyrocket. In 1952, I starredi n a film called "Clash By Night", which blew up in the box office. I was told by the director that the movie was a hit because of my blonde persona and my high sex appeal. I was also told that I was capturing the eye of many men, which is something that I wanted to always do since I was a little girl. After that, I was called to appear in another movie called "Niagra", which grossed $2.35 million in the box office. This amount of money in the 50's was like being a billionare. I had thousands and thousands of dollars from these movies, which meant millions in todays amount. To top it all off, I was also allowed to sign my name in the "Gruman Chinese Theatre", meaning that I was becoming an A - Lister all over again.

I was barely able to spend time with Melvin, which started to take a damper on him. We kept our relationship out of the public eye so that he could still keep his privacy. So instead, I decided to use my large paycheck that I made from my movie "Gentlemen prefer Blonde's", and push it towards our dream wedding. We wanted it to happen off of the caribbean beach, and we wanted everyone to have a nice italian dinner by sunset.