Incoming!

As the library doors opened, the Nie General looked askance at the Chief Cultivator. "Yes, I think I should go too! After all, someone has to keep a track of everything that's happening!" Both General Nie and Lan Xichen smiled at Nie Huaisang's self-deprecating description of the crucial role he would play in the rescue operations.

The Garudas and the Barn Owls telepathically conveyed to Lan Xichen that time was running out. Nie Huaisang assembled the team and addressed the Senior Disciples.

"This will be like an away mission carried out in an unknown territory against an unknown enemy. In your Qiankun pouches, please bring your spirit weapons, talismans and distress flares your clans use in night hunts. An extra set of robes, your swords. Lans, your forehead ribbons and Jiangs, your clarity bells. Sect Leader Jin?"

"I am carrying Suihua."

"And...?"

Jin Ling rolled his eyes, in the same way Jiang Cheng did, and flicking a glance at him, merely held up his wrist, staring straight at Nie Huaisang. The onlookers gasped, as the Zidian uncoiled itself in a flash of purple and seconds later, adorned Jin Ling's wrist. As Nie Huaisang raised his eyebrows and smiled, Jin Ling earned a rare smile from Jiang Cheng.

"JiuJiu!" Jin Ling bowed smartly and took his customary stance, flanking Lan Jingyi.

Lan Xichen's gaze once again caressed Jiang Cheng's face, causing him to blush. A glance stolen through Jiang Cheng's lashes revealed Lan Xichen's look of pure admiration. Indeed, Lan Xichen was proud, his Angry Lotus had parented Jin Ling very well.

Everyone was ushered into the Dining Hall. By special dispensation from Lan Qiren, foods that were suitable to the palates of both the avian and human visitors were served. The Lan Senior Disciples were silently appreciative.

General Nie mounted Baxia* and set off for the Unclean Realm.

The lead Garuda said, "Sect Leader Jiang, we must retrace our steps as soon as possible. We must reach Lanka before dawn." At Nie Huaisang's puzzled frown, Jiang Cheng smiled and holding his hand out to Lan Xichen, said, "Your forehead ribbon, please, Zhangfu*!" Lan Xichen handed it over with a serene smile while the Lan disciples stared with unbridled curiosity. Jiang Cheng passed the ribbon through the Zidian on his wrist and then returned it to Lan Xichen, his eyes twinkling. Lan Xichen received it with a smile and tied it back on, his eyes never leaving Jiang Cheng.

Jiang Cheng blinked, smiled and belatedly realising what he was doing, scowled at the rest of the group. "We should step into an open spot for transport," he directed and led the way to the Lan sword practice arena.

Nie Huaisang stepped up and quickly herded the motley crew into a flight-worthy formation. The biggest Garuda led, followed by one Barn Owl. Then came Jiang Cheng and the Senior Disciples. Jin Ling and Nie Huaisang were at the heart of the group flanked by Lan Bai Tuzi and Lan Yin Hu. The second Barn Owl, Lan Xichen and the other Garuda brought up the rear. The Shadow Trio flew under the shadow of the second Garuda.

Jiang Cheng raised his arm and out of nowhere, a blinding streak of Amethyst Lightning flashed across the sky over Cloud Recesses. Jiang Cheng muttered, "I bow to Avlaokiteshwara, the One With the All-Seeing Eyes!" A fearsome thunderclap sounded, and suddenly, the arena stood bare, empty of life!

In the monastery at Tawang, the Abbot roused from meditation. His beads stopped moving and leaping up, he yelled, "The North-East windows!" Two acolytes sprang to do his bidding with alacrity. A huge gust saw the yak butter lamps sputter, but not give out. Surprisingly, as the winds picked up, so did the flames of the lamps. Gaze sharpening, the Abbot counted the stronger lamps. "A dozen visitors! Make arrangements," he said. One of the acolytes went to a sparkling brass gong and hit it full centre with a mallet. The deep boom reverberated in the monastery's kitchens and the cooks sprang to their cauldrons.