𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖎𝖝

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
THE LABYRINTH OF GEDREF ( i. )

Calliope never joins Arthur for his hunts

Though she may be an assassin, dealing death like a deck of cards, animal cruelty is where she draws the line. The only time an animal should be killed is if someone is traveling and has no choice but to hunt for their food. They should not be killed for sport.

However, the prince and his knights love to spend many mornings killing deer or boar or whatever they can get their spears into. Arthur always brings back a prize for his father, his eyes glinting as Uther pats his back and tells him it's a job well done. He seeks his father's approval like a lifeline.

So, Calliope is not surprised when he returns in the middle of the afternoon with another token for Uther. Her eyebrows raise as the court awaits him, wondering what dead animal head Merlin will be carrying in this time.

Arthur's footsteps echo against the floor of the throne room, his lips turning up into a proud smile.

"Father," he says in a loud voice before stepping away to reveal what Merlin carries on the pillow in his hands. "A unicorn's horn to grace the walls of Camelot."

"Magnificent," Uther walks over to admire the long, white horn, but Calliope has an unsettling feeling in her gut as she stares at the trophy. "It's the first one I've seen. Gaius, look at this."

The king picks up the horn, holding it out for his physician to see, but Gaius does not look pleased.

"'Tis very impressive, my Lord."

A quiet sigh leaves the king's lips, "What is it, Gaius? Speak your mind."

"Unicorns are rare and mystical creatures. There is a legend that says bad fortune will come to anyone who slays one."

Arthur brushes off Gaius's words with a low chuckle as Uther returns the horn to the pillow.

"Nonsense. It will be the envy of every kingdom."

Uther gives his son a proud pat on his shoulder, "I'm pleased you like it."

By now, after everything Camelot has been through, Uther should have learned to heed Gaius's words, but he remains just as blind and ignorant as ever.

As the horn is taken to be put up as a reminder that all helpless animals should never come near Camelot, Calliope follows Gaius and Merlin out of the throne room. She can sense that Merlin does not agree with the slaying of the unicorn, and its death is still heavy in his thoughts.

The sorcerer shakes his head as they head to the physician's chambers, throwing a look over his shoulder at Calliope and Gaius.

"I don't understand how Arthur could have taken any pleasure from killing the unicorn."