𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖎𝖝

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
SWEET DREAMS ( i. )

"Today is a big day, Cal—my father has orchestrated a truly magnificent event

"Today is a big day, Cal—my father has orchestrated a truly magnificent event."

Magnificent isn't quite the word Calliope would choose. While all rulers from the Five Kingdoms agreeing to meet in the same place is an impressive accomplishment, actually getting them to reach common ground for peace is an entirely different ordeal. The assassin will be pleasantly surprised if absolute civil war doesn't break out on castle grounds. Not that she'd complain. Bashing royal heads together isn't something she'd pass up. However, Arthur seems hopeful, and she knows this is an important day for Camelot, so she needs to be supportive.

Being in a good mood comes easy to her. The past month has been complete bliss for her and the prince. As long as the King isn't around, they're pretty public about their relationship. While the King gave a half-blessing, Calliope knows he definitely does not care to see it in front of his face. But when it's just them and the knights, there's no pressure to mask anything. She doesn't flinch when he glides his arm around her in the corridors. Or when he steals a kiss before she parts for a morning patrol with Leon. She wakes up in his bed more than her own, and Merlin has finally learned to knock.

Summer has come to end, but no wedding occurred in the palace. Lady Victoria—or Solene, whoever she was, has been completely forgotten. Calliope thinks of the night she saw Sepharin often, and how he slipped through her fingers. He's probably planning another attack, but this time he'll come for her. Because he knows that as long as Calliope is alive, Prince Arthur is basically untouchable. She'd throw herself in front of a blade before she lets Sepharin anywhere near him.

And then there's the mystery of her necklace. She'd put that one at the back of her mind. There's been too much going on for her to have any time for research. She fits in what time she can with Gaius, but they're only hitting dead ends. Instead of dwelling on it, she focuses on Arthur. He always finds a way to make her smile. The light in the darkness. He's always there to ground her, to pull her back from the edge she lives on.

She feels his arms snake around her back as she stares out the window at the distant trail of multi-colored banners.

"How long before you think someone starts throwing punches?"

Calliope scoffs, "I'd be shocked if everyone makes it into the palace without a scratch."

"I don't think anyone will cause too much trouble," he replies, his mouth close to her ear. "Word has spread about the King's new ruthless guard. They say that even though she's absolutely terrifying, she's also breathtakingly beautiful."

Warmth spreads on Calliope's cheeks and Arthur smirks. He's always loved making her blush.

He presses a kiss against her head, letting her go to put on his ceremonial crown.

"Then again, I hear she can be a real pain in the ass."

"Hey," Calliope turns around, arms crossed over her chest. "Someone has to be around to knock you off your high horse."