Chapter Five: Taller Than The Trees

The weeks fly by in a flurry of emotions and my stay at Vinnie's cabin comes to an abrupt end. I decided that I shall return to my room at the saloon however rowdy and obnoxious life there would be and to face that maybe he would never stop looking for me and that I can't live my life in fear of hiding forever. So I returned to the saloon this week and decided to speak to the woman named Rose again today, as I hadn't spoken to her since weeks prior. I walk the streets at dawn, the morning sun peeking over the buildings. I haven't had time to fully explore the town yet, and delve into what it offers due to my missing poster.

-

Vinnie had taken down the posters and had walked me back into town after things seemed to blow over. I still never discovered what led to the liquid stain on the coat he loaned me, but I wanted no part of it nevertheless.

-

I made my way downstairs and ordered oatmeal, my usual since I'd gotten back. It was now the thirteenth of June, and it would be the gloomiest day since I'd come to this town. Rain pours down from the sky and I have to hide under awnings so as to not get drenched. Cold grips its way through my clothes, prickling my skin.

-

The horses without stables whine and whinny as lightning strikes far off in the distance. That's when I see the short, masked person, he dashes out of a brick house with a sack of goods and I hear a woman yell, "Stop that thief!"

-

Something overcomes me and I take off running, not away but towards the thief instead. I quickly catch up to him and grab their wrist as they're running, and they slip against the slick, wet pavement. I detain them by hovering over their chest, pinning their arms down so they couldn't move. The lady looks at me in shock and runs off somewhere down the street. Several seconds later the lady and two police officers in heavy trench coats come dashing down the street. I nearly shrink at the sight of the officers. Coming from a mixed bloodline, there were few officers we could trust. It's a shame we had to fear those set in a place of power to protect us. As they gestured for me to stand, I did so, careful of my movement in their presence. Although I'm white-passing there's still that fear: what if they knew?

-

They quickly handcuff the thief and take off their mask to reveal a Hispanic child's frightened and guilty expression.

-

I choke, almost wishing I hadn't stopped the thief now, "Where are your parents' kid?" I bend over to talk to them as the police officers handcuff him.

-

"They're dead..." The kid glumly looks away.

-

"They're not dead, Issac. They're just doing time in 'the big house'." The short-haired officer says.

-

"They might as well be dead! I don't even know when I'll see them again. Why won't you tell me?" He starts to yell over the pouring rain.

-

I raise my hand slightly butting into the conversation, "I think he just wants to see his parents again, maybe that's why he's stealing stuff?" The kid flinches slightly like I had 'twisted the knife'. I must've been spot on.

-

"We've actually had a bounty out for this little one for a couple of weeks due to the ruckus he's caused. It's not much but swing by the office and you'll get your pay.

-

I follow behind them making sure they don't mishandle the kid and we enter the police office. In the back are three cells and more I can spot down the steps to the basement. The longer-haired officer is more straight to the point and pays me one hundred dollars for the rehabilitation and brief arrest of the kid. And upon asking, they explain that their parents weren't coming back and had been sentenced to life in prison while the kid was with the other officer. They would be put in the foster system until someone wanted to adopt them.

-

That was my first job as a bounty hunter, as silly as it seems, a petty thief at the age of about ten. But you've gotta start somewhere, right?

-

When I told Rose I could've sworn she would have yelled at me for throwing myself in danger without knowing. But she applauded me, Issac had a chance at life without having to fight and steal to survive. I did something good, something right. Of course, the foster system isn't perfect but he would have a home, and basic necessities that's more than he had when his parents were gone, at least I think. Rose did warn me again about the man named Raven.

-

"He's cunning and you don't want to fuck with him. Don't ever pursue him no matter how high the bounty gets. It's not just you, I'd tell everyone this."

-

"Alright no need to say it again, I'll stay away from him." Was my response as I headed out the door and trailed through the rain to Gray's house. I hadn't seen Granger since the day with Lake nearly going berserk on me.

-

As I knock on the wooden door after walking the distance to his house he opens the door almost immediately, forcing a smile but I can see a sadness lurking within him, "Hey I was just about to head out, would you like to come with me?"