Two

A short plane ride later I arrive in Bozeman. I grab my carryon from the over head compartment and exit the plane. I make my way to the Enterprise office where I'm met with my first obstacle. "I'm sorry ma'am we have no more car rentals left for this week." The woman whose name tag says Jill peers over her glasses at me. "There are a few shuttles that can take you out to Big Sky, I can give you their information." She continues. "Oh no I need a car please I'll take anything. It's just me I don't need anything fancy. Just a car to get me around." I plead with Jill who looks annoyed but maintains her composure. She goes back to typing on her computer and I remain hopeful. "Summer is a busy time for us dear." She says as she continues to type. " I have one car available for a week rental but it's an SUV." Jill raises an eyebrow at me. "I'll take it!" I say quickly and a big smile spreads across my face. I sign the paperwork and walk over to collect the car and when I see an SUV waiting for me. "Is this for me?" I asked the employee who hands me the key. "Yup" he says. "It's a Ford Expedition." He continues. This isn't an SUV it's a tank I think to myself. I thank him for the keys. With my luggage in the trunk I hop into the seat and set the navigation to the inn in Big Sky I'll be staying at. The directions tell me to go 82 miles on the 191 south. I pull out of the airport and head towards my destination.

The Terrain changes from flat ranch land to green mountains with tall trees lining the two lane highway. A river runs next to the highway and I pull down my window to hear it. The hot wind blows through my long brown hair and I breath in the fresh smell of nature. I'm grateful for the change of scenery. My navigation shows that I'm halfway there. I turn up the volume of the radio and hear Morgan Wallen signing one of my favorite songs. I sing along without a care in the world. "Girl leave your dress by the door we ain't leaving this room unless someone needs medical help or the magnolias bloom." I bellow off tune. In that moment I am genuinely happy. I feel the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders as I leave the mess that's my life behind and go looking for adventure. Adventure however finds me first as what looks like an Elk darts in front of my car causing me to swerve into a ditch on the side of the road between two trees. "Oh shit, shit, shit." I start to panic once the car comes to a screeching halt. I take a few deep breaths and put the car in reverse but it doesn't move. "Ughh it's stuck!" I see a black pickup truck pull over behind me and an older couple gets out. "You alright there?" The tall man with graying hair and kind eyes asks. "Uh I think so an animal came out of no where." I offer an explanation to the strangers as I step out of the car. "Oh dear you cut your forehead." The lady who I presume is his wife points to my forehead. She has light brown hair styled into a pixie cut and hazel eyes that shine under the summer light. I touch my forehead and wince at pain. Bringing my fingers down to examine them I see them smeared with blood. "Oh my god." I start to panic again. "Alright dear come sit in the car let me help you." The sweet lady gently grabs my arm and leads me to the passenger side of her car. "Ray call Andrew at the shop let him come out and tow her car." She yells over to the man as he examines the damage. "I'm Mary, that's my husband Ray." She says. "I'm Ally, Allison, Ally for short." I smile. She pulls napkins from the glove box of her car and dabs my head. I take a sharp breath from the contact. "You'll be alright doesn't look too bad. I don't think you will need any stitches but we should get you cleaned up. Where you headed?" she asks. "I was heading to Big Sky. I just got into town I haven't been here more than an hour and I ready managed to ruin my trip." I sigh defeated. Ray walks up to us. "Andrew said he would be here in about two hours. He's on another job. I'll stay here with the car you ladies head home and get that taken care of." He points to my cut. "Oh I couldn't do that I don't want to inconvenience you I can wait here." I protest. "Now don't be silly dear. We live up this road. Andrew will drop Ray off once he tows your car. Do you have any luggage?" Mary asks. "Uh a small bag in the trunk." Mary grabs my bag and sits in the drivers seat of Ray's car.