8

Parents gripped their younglings tighter and the others all took fearful steps back, desperate to find a way back into the safety of their homes.

"She's not lying," Arkeous swiftly moved back in front of the woman then briefly turned his helmeted head towards her. "Miss..?" He muttered, his voice still heavily modulated.

"Chief Rishka."

Arkeous raised his eyebrows and smiled to himself, giving the chief a single nod.

The Imperial woman passed eyes over the panicked civilians until they landed on Arkeous. "You,"

"Me," Ark began taking steps forward to meet her.

"You don't belong here, do you?"

"Not very nice to assume, eh?" He shrugged.

The officer didn't show any sign of amusement. Despite not wearing a helmet or mask of any kind, she appeared expressionless compared to Arkeous.

"No," Ark rolled his eyes in defeat. "I'm not from here. Make your soldiers stand down. I've already searched the area and interrogated the villagers. There's no one of importance here."

The woman tilted her head. "And what makes you think you have authority over me?"

Ark's sense came like a burst of energy. Behind him, a stormtrooper raised his blaster to a young man's head, forcing him to the ground with his hands in the air. Before the man's knees hit the grass, Arkeous ripped his weapon from under his coat and a red blade pierced the air towards the trooper with a sharp whine that fell into a drone. With a free hand, he pulled the coat's collar to the side to expose his clothed shoulder to the officer. Stitched into the gray fabric was the symbol of the new Galactic Empire.

Being oblivious to this, the stormtrooper hesitated before pointing his blaster at the strange man while the others followed his actions. "Jedi!" His voice cracked. The village became engulfed in the fear emanating from not only each soldier but the civilians as well.

"Stop," The officer barked and raised a hand. "So, you're the one they sent."

"Arkeous Malum," Ark took the opportunity to introduce himself.

"I'm well aware of your name."

"Captain," One of the troopers growled. "... Who is he?"

"One of the Jedi hunters the Empire sent to assist us." She responded casually. "Captain Vartan Bodt." The captain raised a friendly hand to Ark. "No need to kill any of my men."

"Not today, at least," Ark muttered with a shrug and extinguished his lightsaber, shoving it back into his shoulder holster. "Though, I think you're here to assist me. I got here first, after all." He met Captain Bodt's hand with his own, appreciating her courtesy.

"Did you learn anything from these people?" Bodt grimaced at the thought Uban's unrefined way of life.

Ark thought back to his brief conversation with the chief. "No- Nothing. Just the same rumors we've been hearing."

"Hm." Vartan straightened her posture even more. "I was trying to find you for all these months... Why didn't you make yourself known to me? We'll make a good team working together. An Imperial captain and an ex-Jedi. At least you're not a traitor," For the first time, she smirked.

"I was never a Jedi," Ark quickly corrected her. "-And with all due respect, I work alone. I feel like I focus better... I'm sure you can agree, no?"