11

Alderaan

          Shifi and Xasyi stumbled into the main room of Aliik Balac, groaning when the light suddenly came on.

          "Where have you two been?" Jabith shot up from her seat, directly next to the alor, who sat cross-legged, silent.

          "Out." Shifi rolled her eyes. "Are we not allowed to have a life anymore? A private one?" She caught Belcin's dark gaze and swallowed. "We went out drinking and were just walking around after that,"

          "You're not allowed to when the Empire has a curfew set. It's been hours." Belcin leaned forward. "Sajja went with you, no?"

          "Y-yes, but we thought she came home early." Xasyi locked her arm with the Pantoran's.

          "You are not supposed to leave her alone." Belcin stood up this time, watching the women take a step back as she did so.

          "We didn't leave her, she left us!"

          "You know what she means," Jabith chimed in. "You two could have gotten arrested."

          "Or Sajja. You know now that her fate will be worse than yours if she's caught." Belcin cleared her throat.

          "She wasn't answering her comm when we tried to hail her... We saw her talking to some guy. She probably left with him," Xasyi smiled, believing nothing worse had happened.

          Belcin ran a rough hand down her face.

          "Figures. What did I tell you about Sajja- or whatever her name is? She doesn't care. If she did, she wouldn't be going out to cantinas and partying every other night," Jabith snapped.

          The alor had been dealing with the distaste for the Jedi from a few members of Aliik Balac - some more obvious than others. "I'm sure you would want to try and live a normal life even after everything changed, too." She turned to Shifi and Xasyi as they both slowly made their way to their rooms. "Just- be more careful next time. We'll wait around for Sajja in case she comes back."

          "If she hasn't been caught by now," Jabith picked at her fingernails.

          "Whatever your problem is with the Jedi, drop it." Belcin turned her head slightly. "We're supposed to be here to help. You and Rosha keep teaming up against her even though you've known her for only a few months, yet she's helped you more times than you can count. She could very well get executed if she's caught."

          "Rosha and I are the only ones with sense around here because we know what the Jedi really are. We've been shown proof that the Jedi are traitors and she and I have experienced it firsthand – But you decided to bring one into our own home to save just because she helped you once during the war. Some alor you are, prioritizing a stranger before your family." With a glance up and down the Togruta, Jabith turned to leave.

          Part of Belcin agreed with her co-alor, but something else tugged at her, saying she was doing the right thing, but in reality, was she? The Jedi had saved her life in more ways than one. Her battalion had, too. The most Belcin could do to repay them was to save her friend.

          As a spy for Senator Organa, she was in good standing. She had resources against the rising Empire – resources to help whatever Jedi remained. Was it Belcin's job to put her and the rest of Aliik Balac in danger for one woman?

          She closed her eyes with a breath and hailed a figure on her holocomm. "Kallon," She whispered. "I need you to go to the Royal Palace and relay a message for me."