Chapter Five - Worried Sensei

Minato didn’t know how Kakashi wasn’t crying. —It was like he shut off his emotions.— Minato thinks worried —Like an ANBU would.— And then there was the problem with his other male student. Minato may have only known the kid for a month, but this morning he wasn’t the normal rambunctious kid. Before Kakashi woke up Minato went to their usual training ground to tell Rin and Obito what—well part of—happened last night. He was pleasantly surprised to find both Rin and Obito there before him, and Obito was one to show up late—at least an hour.

Flashback~this morning

Minato was on his way to team sevens meeting spot at training ground 3 later than usual. He was on his way from the hospital. Minato stayed the night when he brought his youngest student there. The boy was found  by Minato sobbing over his dead father. Now Minato wasn’t that late, only a couple of minutes, so when he found Rin and  Obito on time, his gut was telling him something was wrong. What was more worrying were the faces of his older students were making. Rin’s expression was understandable. Kakashi wasn’t there before anyone else, so she visibly voiced and showed her concern.

What was concerning was Obito’s expression—or lack thereof—the boy was sitting on one of the many boulders lining the perimeter of the training ground staring off into the forest. Obito was ignoring Rin’s worried questions—which was not normal since Minato thought the boy had a crush on the girl—but Minato saw the slightest hint of emotion in the boy's eyes. —Grief? Why?— Minato thought—Why would this 8 year old be feeling grief?

Rin noticed her sensei and ran up to Minato, “Sensei, do you know where Kakashi is?” she asks worriedly. Obito wasn’t paying attention—like he doesn’t even know I am here

“At the hospital.” Minato answers, noticing he’s gotten Obito’s attention.

“Why’s he at the hospital?” He asks, voice void of emotions. —No teasing or ridicule?—

“It’d be best if he tells you himself.” Minato answers, “You two can come with me to see him. He should wake up soon.”

“I would like to come.” Rin says excited to see Kakashi, but still worried for the boy she considers a brother even after only a short month.

Obito shrugs his shoulders and starts his way to the hospital at a slow pace.

Back to the present

Minato stood in the doorway as he watched his students. Kakashi was visibly startled out of a deep thought when Obito spoke softly. When Kakashi turned to face Obito, recognition flashed in the older boy's eyes.

What did he recognize?

“Kakashi are you okay?” Rin asks worriedly, “Why are you in the hospital?”

Kakashi froze when he looked at Rin. Guilt and grief clearly pictured on the visible part of the boy’s face. Tears began to pool in his eyes Rin panicked. Obito—strangely the calmest in the room—put a hand on the girl’s shoulder—calming her down—and gently pushed her back. When he was done he turned to Kakashi, who was still frozen within his thoughts.

“Kakashi.” Obito says gently, gaining the younger boy’s attention. Obito grabs Kakashi’s cheeks suddenly so they were eye to eye—as the latter wasn’t making eye contact.—Obito’s back was turned to Minato, so he didn’t see what the boy did, but the shock, then relief on Kakashi’s face was—sort of—welcoming.

Rin was closer to Minato than her teammates, so she didn’t see what happened either. What both Rin and Minato did see was Obito trace a scar over Kakashi’s left eye with his thumb. —Wait? Where’d the scar come from?— Minato thought as he didn’t remember seeing it earlier—Was I so out of it I didn’t notice it?