11.

[ chapter eleven ]

KAI'S WORDS DIDN'T set right with me

KAI'S WORDS DIDN'T set right with me. His entire demeanor had changed. It almost seemed as if he was hesitant to tell me the truth or not. I know he's done terrible things but I could also see that there was a part of him that did regret those things, no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

"What did you do, Kai?" I asked. I was partially intrigued and scared to know at the same time.

I watched him as he sat there and took a deep breath, "I was so mad at Bonnie. She had left me there to die. They all left me there to die. Even after I tried to change and make things right, they still wouldn't let me."

"What did you do?" I repeated.

"Turns out Damon and Stefan's mommy was trapped in the same prison world as I was. It was me, her and a bunch of other hungry heretics."

Kai continued to run his fingers through the grass. It seemed as if he was somewhat anxious as he told me this story. I couldn't help but wonder if it was because he felt like he was reliving a past that has felt that he has tried to burry.

"Since I wasn't a vampire yet, they used me as a human blood bag. They were like me. Outcasts." Kai tilted his head slightly. "That's when I formed my plan."

"What was your plan?"

"Again with the constant questions," Kai sighed in annoyance.

I rolled my eyes, more upset with myself that I couldn't stop asking him questions.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'll try to restrain myself from any further comments."

Kai took another deep breath and continued, "With the helps of the heretics, we got what we needed and escaped the prison world. When we were free, I was just in time to attend my sister Jo's wedding to Alaric Saltzman."

My stomach dropped. His name alone made me sick. I know I shouldn't have been focused on myself, but hearing his name only caused me to think of how a man I truly trusted betrayed me. I knew whatever Kai's past with him couldn't be good.

"Turned out that my sister was pregnant with the next set of Gemini twins." Kai said using unenthusiastic jazz hands. "Which meant that when they would end my reign as coven leader. So I did what I had to do and made my grand entrance at the wedding. While they at the alter I used a spell to keep myself hidden. I took a knife to my sister's stomach to kill her kids before they were born."

A part of me felt sick. I couldn't imagine what horror filled the room the day Kai did this. But what was most unsettling was the lack of emotion Kai was showing. It was like he didn't have much remorse, only a small ounce of regret.

"It didn't work though. I ended up just killing Jo and the girls were saved and Caroline Forbe- uh, I guess now Salvatore, gave birth to them. That whole thing really confuses me," Kai sighed as he rubbed his temple. "Then my family decided they'd send me to another prison world, I killed myself. Since I died, the rest of them did too but they didn't know that mommy Salvatore had given me her blood. That's how I became a heretic."