| the mistake |

After Maverick's little stunt, not only was he reinstated as our instructor, but was also our new mission leader.

Meaning, that only one solo pilot would make it out of our class. So everyone was putting in extra hours, and putting in 110% every moment they flew.

It was between me, Hangman, Rooster, Coyote, Jinx, and a few others. I honestly didn't know who Maverick was going to choose. I thought after knowing him for my entire life, I could read him, but he's too much of a wild card.

That means that half of the detachment was putting their entire effort into getting chosen for the mission. I was included.

But I was scared, I wasn't going to lie. I hadn't flown since before my father died. The stakes were high, I was trying to get murdered, and the top suspects were my best friends. And my flying had been off lately, and I knew it was because I had become too emotional.

I tried to shut people out after my father's death, and I did.

Phoenix tried to help me, but I couldn't let her in. Rooster also tried, but he was dealing and processing things with Maverick. He had a lot on his mind.

Hangman was the only one I let get close to me.

It didn't help that I didn't give myself time to mourn, instead, I pretend like it never happened. The only problem with that is, the fact that I was super close with my father, and I would go to tell him things, and he just wasn't there. And I couldn't visit his grave again. I just couldn't.

I shook off my nerves, and I headed for my place.

Let me escape for a little while. Let me be Avalanche, not Zoe Kazansky.

I look to the planes, and I see someone else out there. It wasn't unusual to see this, there was always someone fixing the planes or loading up into one.

But the closer I got to my own F-18, the more I got confused.

I crept closer, "Jinx? What are you doing here? I thought your F-18 was next to Phoenix's?" I asked puzzled.

"I was talking to Coyote, and was about to cross when Rooster was taxiing his F-18 out." Jinx said quickly.

"Oh, okay."

Jinx adds, "By the way, I'm sorry for your loss." But it's not sincere or said, it's monotone. Emotionless.

"Thanks." I said, keeping it clipped. It was almost time to load up into my plane anyways. I started climbing up my ladder, looking to the wing of my plane.

It looked normal. Regular even. And that made me anxious. It was missing that small camera that had been installed a few days ago. I looked slowly from my wing, to Jinx, and then back to my plane.

It all clicked.

"Everything okay?" Jinx asked, and I knew that he was the one who had been trying to sabotage my plane. But why?

"Everything's good." I said, trying to keep my voice even. Maybe I could try to distract Jinx until somebody else came to roll out. "Jinx, how's your dad holding up? Slicer?" I questioned but then cringed because I said the wrong name.