Fídisuchian

Even though the Leviathan superfamily may be the closest living relatives to modern Crocodylians, with both being part of the Neosuchia clade, it would be easy to make the mistake of thinking that they are from completely different evolutionary branches due to the former having very little in common with the latter. When it comes to the Fídisuchian family, their uniqueness is on a whole other level of strangeness.

Although Crocodylomorphs have taken on many different forms and ecological niches over the millions of years of their existence, the Fídisuchians are the only ones to have evolved to become so snake-like in design. In fact, their body plan is so different from those of their relatives, people used to believe that they were the missing link between snakes and lizards, and it was only after genetic testing that their true identity was revealed.

But even with this revelation, the exact origin of this Leviathan family is still shrouded in many mysteries. Unfortunately, the Fídisuchians' fossil record is fragmented, so we don't have much information about their evolution. However in 2015, the mummified body of an extinct species which was soon given the name of Morozdrakon siberius, or frost dragon of Siberia, was discovered and quickly extracted from the permafrost.

The specimen, affectionately nicknamed Alina for her exquisite preservation, depicts a female Morozdrakon that was about 7 years old when it died around 43,000 years ago. Even the remains of her last meal, a steppe bison calf, is preserved within her stomach. However, the most exciting thing about Alina isn't her preservation, but where she was found and when she lived. Despite being a cold blooded Reptile, she was living in Siberia during the mid Pleistocene. This proves that the Fídisuchians were already adapting to the cooler climates near the Arctic circle.

Today, most of these Crocodylomorphs have evolve all sorts of features to survive in places with cold winters; however, not all of them are made for this type of weather. In fact, for Kafsitrypanosuchus ifaisteus, their preferred habitat is one of extreme heat.

Known as Uroktors when they're young, it's hard to believe that these Leviathans come from the Afar depression in Ethiopia, as they look more adapted for an aquatic lifestyle

Known as Uroktors when they're young, it's hard to believe that these Leviathans come from the Afar depression in Ethiopia, as they look more adapted for an aquatic lifestyle. However, looks can be deceiving, and the features of these animals are well suited for their environment.

When living in a volcanically active desert, being able to cool down is a must for survival. Luckily for the Uroktors, they happen to have the tools needed to accomplish this task.

One of the most effective ways for Uroktors to lose excess heat is through the use of the sail on their back. By pumping blood into these protrusions, the Leviathans can allow heat to escape through the skin, while simultaneously catching the wind which cools down the bodily fluids in their veins.

However, sometimes this isn't enough, and these animals have to find a different way of cooling off. But once again, evolution has given them the right features for the job. Thanks to their beak-like snouts, surprisingly powerful forelimbs, strong and flexible tail and ability to spit acid, Uroktors are master burrowers. By taking cover beneath the earth, these animals can avoid the scorching sun entirely and keep cool. Of course this tactic isn't very effective if they dig close to magma. However, the snout of these animals are very sensitive to changes in temperature. So by burying there bill into the ground, Uroktors can sense if the area is cold enough for them to comfortably rest in.