III

Dear best friend, partner, companion;

The day that I left to go home that was hours away, you gave me a letter that you wrote at 4am for me to read once I arrive home. We laughed at how tired you were and I told you that you didn't have to write or stay up that late for me for I thought I wasn't worth losing the sleep for.

When my sibling left to hang out without their friends and after I unpacked all the things I got while visiting, I relaxed in my bed with the letter in hand.

I read through all the compliments that I never expected to hear in my life time, the feelings you felt for me, how safe and comfortable you felt around me, and how much you wanted this relationship as did I.

I shed some tears as I read the letter multiple times over as I still do to this day.

The raw and pure emotions I can feel just from the letter is humbling and reassuring in times when my insecurities blind my sight of the true reality we have together.

I have never felt the emotion called love before, never from my family nor from my past partners whom I regret giving my time to. But when I read that letter and when I said 'I love you' for the very first time, I truly felt love for the first time and I will forever mean it when I say 'I love you' for I love you with all my being.

~Forever yours, Avery Fawkes